|Diana Ross & the Supremes Sing and Perform "Funny Girl"|
|Studio album by|
|Released||August 26, 1968|
|Diana Ross & the Supremes chronology|
Diana Ross & the Supremes Sing and Perform "Funny Girl" is the thirteenth studio album released by Diana Ross & the Supremes on the Motown label, released in 1968. Berry Gordy had Diana Ross & the Supremes cover the songs from Barbra Streisand's Broadway musical Funny Girl original cast LP to tie-in with the September release of the feature-film version of the musical, also starring Streisand. The LP was not a success, and, with a Billboard 200 peak of 150, ranks as the lowest-charting of the Diana Ross-led Supremes albums. It managed to sell over 225,000 US copies, according to Motown data.
It was, however, praised by the composer, Jules Styne as one of the finest renditions of his score after the Broadway cast and movie soundtrack albums. Despite the commercial failure, fans celebrated the release, and the group performed a medley on the Ed Sullivan Show .
Having not previously been released on CD, the album was released for downloading and streaming on April 29, 2014. Besides the original ten songs, every album track has also been remixed for this collection to only include the voices of Diana Ross, Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong instead of the chorus on the original album. Additionally there a live versions of "I´m the Greatest Star" (an outtake from "T.C.B.") and "My Man (Mon Homme)" (live from Las Vegas).
- "Funny Girl"
- "If a Girl Isn't Pretty"
- "I Am Woman"
- "The Music That Makes Me Dance"
- "Don't Rain on My Parade"
- Diana Ross – lead vocals
- Mary Wilson – background vocals
- Cindy Birdsong – background vocals
- The Andantes – background vocals
- Various LA session singers – background vocals
- Gil Askey – arranger
|Diana Ross & the Supremes Sing and Perform "Funny Girl"||U.S. Billboard 200||150|
- "Ryan Adams' '1989' & A History of Cover Albums". Billboard. September 30, 2015.
- "THE SUPREMES, DIANA ROSS, STEVIE WONDER and RAY CHARLES.....USA album sales". Greasy Lake Community. Retrieved 9 July 2017.