McCoil in 2016
|Born:||September 5, 1991|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||220 lb (100 kg)|
|High school:||Lutcher (Lutcher, Louisiana)|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
|Career Arena statistics|
|Player stats at ArenaFan.com|
McCoil attended Lutcher High School in Lutcher, Louisiana, where he helped lead the Bulldogs to the 2008 3A State Championship. He was ranked as the 58th top prospect in the state of Louisiana by Rivals.com. He was named the District MVP following his senior season. He was an honorable mention all-state in his Senior season. McCoil also earned the all-district, all-metro and all-River Parish honors following both his junior and senior seasons of high school.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Lutcher, Louisiana||Lutcher High School||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)||168 lb (76 kg)||4.6 (According to scout.com)||Jan 20, 2009|
|Recruiting star ratings: Scout: Rivals: 247Sports: N/A|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 97 (WLB) Rivals: NR (S), NR (National), 58 (Louisiana)|
McCoil was named the Defensive MVP following his performance in the 2011 Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl. He also earned second-team all-Conference USA honors following his Junior season. Prior to his Senior season, he was selected on the Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List and also selected on the Jim Thorpe Award Watch List. In his four seasons at Tulsa, he finished with a total of 315 tackles, 18 Interceptions, 43 passes defensed, and one forced fumble.
Los Angeles Kiss
On May 31, 2014, he signed with the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League. He won the CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie Award in 2014 for recording 67 tackles, four sacks and tying for the league lead with six interceptions. McCoil and the Eskimos had a contract dispute during the 2015 CFL season as he claimed that he was not offered the 1-year contract (with a player option to extend to 2 years), rather he claimed the Eskimos only offered him the minimum 2-year contract. On the field McCoil continued to be a key cog in the Eskimos defense recording 76 defensive tackles, two sacks, three interceptions and a fumble recovery. On December 6, 2015, after winning the 103rd Grey Cup to close the season, the Eskimos announced they had reached a settlement of all outstanding matters with Dexter McCoil, the CFL and the CFLPA. Effective immediately and until May 1, 2016, McCoil is free to attempt to sign with an NFL team. Should McCoil be unsuccessful in securing an NFL standard player contract for the 2016 NFL season, he has entered into an agreement to play for the Eskimos for the 2016 and 2017 CFL seasons.
San Diego / Los Angeles Chargers
On January 12, 2016, he signed with the San Diego Chargers. The Chargers tried him out at linebacker and at safety during their off-season workouts. On September 3, 2016, he was listed on the Chargers' final 53-man roster. McCoil made his first start at safety for the Chargers on September 25, 2016, against the Indianapolis Colts. He played in all 16 games with two starts, recording 25 tackles, five passes defensed and one interception.
On October 7, 2017, McCoil was waived by the Chargers.
San Francisco 49ers
On October 9, 2017, McCoil was claimed off waivers by the San Francisco 49ers. He was released on April 30, 2018. He was re-signed by the 49ers on August 17, 2018. He was waived on September 1, 2018. He was re-signed again to the practice squad on September 27, 2018. He was released on October 9, 2018.
Los Angeles Chargers (second stint)
- "Tulsa Golden Hurricane Profile". tulsahurricane.com. Archived from the original on January 24, 2013.
- "Nine Tulsa Players Earn Conference USA First- or Second-Team Football Honors". tulsahurricane.com. Retrieved December 6, 2011.
- "Tulsa's Dexter McCoil Named to Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List". tulsahurricane.com. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Dexter McCoil on Jim Thorpe Award Watch List". tulsahurricane.com. Retrieved July 13, 2012.
- "Dexter McCoil Tulsa Statistics". sports-reference.com.
- "Versatile Dexter McCoil fills hybrid safety role for Chargers". espn.com. Retrieved May 19, 2016.
- "KISS Assigned Former Tulsa Safety". arenafootball.com. Retrieved February 17, 2014.
- "Esks add to camp roster". esks.com. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "Rising star: McCoil wins Most Outstanding Rookie Award". cfl.ca. November 27, 2014. Archived from the original on November 28, 2014. Retrieved November 27, 2014.
- "McCoil, Esks reach contract settlement". CFL.ca. Retrieved December 7, 2015.
- "Chargers Agree to Terms with CFL Standout Dexter McCoil". Chargers.com. January 12, 2016. Retrieved September 27, 2016.
- "Dexter McCoil Stands Out at Offseason Program". Chargers.com. April 25, 2016. Retrieved September 27, 2016.
- Henne, Ricky (October 7, 2017). "Bolts Sign RB Andre Williams; Waive S Dexter McCoil". Chargers.com.
- "49ers Claim DB Dexter McCoil, Waive DB Lorenzo Jerome". 49ers.com. October 9, 2017.
- "49ers release LB Donavin Newsom, four others to reach roster limit". Sacbee.com. April 30, 2018.
- "49ers Sign DB Dexter McCoil; Place S Terrell Williams Jr. on Injured Reserve". 49ers.com. August 17, 2018.
- "49ers Cut 21 Players, Get Roster Down to 53". 49ers.com. September 1, 2018.
- "49ers Place Jimmy Garoppolo on IR, Call up Nick Mullens and Announce Other Roster Moves". 49ers.com. September 26, 2018.
- "49ers Announce Several Practice Squad Roster Moves". 49ers.com. October 9, 2018.
- "Chargers sign S Dexter McCoil to practice squad". Chargers Wire. USA Today. January 2, 2019.