Dewlish Village Hall
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Dorset and Wiltshire|
Dewlish is a village and civil parish in the county of Dorset in southern England, and is situated approximately 7 miles (11 km) north-east of the county town Dorchester. The village is sited in the valley of the small Devil's Brook among the chalk hills of the Dorset Downs; the parish covers about 2,100 acres (850 ha) and extends west to include part of the valley of the small Cheselbourne stream, and east to include a dry valley at Dennet's Bottom. The surrounding area is part of the Dorset Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). In the 2011 census the parish had a population of 284.
In the 19th century the remains of two prehistoric mammoths, dating from about one million years BC, were found in the hillside above the village; two of the tusks were taken to the county museum at Dorchester.
One of the most significant properties in the area, Dewlish House was built in 1702. It served as the childhood home of John Michel (who later became a field marshal) from 1804 to 1823 and later served as his retirement home between 1880 and 1886. Recently owned by Mr and Mrs Anthony Boyden (from 1962 to 2020) the Grade I-listed Queen Anne style house and its 296-acre (120 ha) property were sold in 2020. The buyer was an American already living in the UK.
- "Area: Dewlish (Parish), Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "'Dewlish', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 3: Central (1970), pp. 84-89". British History Online. University of London & History of Parliament Trust. November 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- Roland Gant (1980). Dorset Villages. Robert Hale Ltd. p. 87. ISBN 0 7091 8135 3.
- DEWLISH DEWLISH PARK Dewlish House British Listed Buildings
- British History on-line
- "John Michel". Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Dewlish files
- Dewlish House
- Eight of the biggest country house sales in Britain in 2020
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dewlish.|
|This Dorset location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|