|Detective Chinatown 3|
|Directed by||Chen Sicheng|
|Edited by||Hongjia Tang|
|Distributed by||Wanda Pictures|
|Box office||US$691 million|
Detective Chinatown 3 (Chinese: 唐人街探案 3) is a 2021 Chinese comedy-mystery buddy film directed and written by Chen Sicheng, starring Wang Baoqiang and Liu Haoran. It is a sequel to Detective Chinatown 2 (2018) and is the third installment in the Detective Chinatown series. It was released on 12 February 2021.
The film set several box office records, including the biggest opening weekend ever in a single territory. Grossing over US$691 million, it is the second highest-grossing film of 2021 and the fifth highest non-English film of all-time.
After the events in Bangkok and New York, Tang Ren and Qin Feng are invited to Tokyo to investigate another crime that has occurred there, leading to a battle between the strongest detectives in Asia.
- Wang Baoqiang as Tang Ren (Chinese: 唐仁)
- Liu Haoran as Qin Feng (Chinese: 秦风)
- Satoshi Tsumabuki as Hiroshi Noda
- Tony Jaa as Jack Jaa
- Masami Nagasawa as Kobayashi Anna
- Zhang Zifeng as Snow
- Xiao Yang as Song Yi
- Shang Yuxian as Kiko
- Honami Suzuki
- Tadanobu Asano
- Tomokazu Miura
- Shōta Sometani
- Cheng Xiao
- Chen Zheyuan
The film was initially planned for release in China for the 2020 Chinese New Year but its release in China was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic in China. The film was rescheduled and released on February 12, 2021.
Detective Chinatown 3 made RMB 673 million ($104 million) in advance tickets for its opening day and RMB 950 million ($147 million) for its first week, the highest amount ever in China beating Avengers: Endgame ($95.5 million) and resulting in a projected opening weekend of over $200 million. The film grossed $163 million (RMB 1.05 billion) on its first day of release, the biggest opening day in world history (beating Endgame's $157 million in North America) and pushing weekend projections to as high as $400 million. The film ended up debuting to RMB 2.56 billion ($398 million), becoming the biggest opening weekend ever in a single territory (beating Endgame's $357 million in April 2019). The film grossed over US$424M in its opening weekend, making it the ninth highest-grossing opening for a film. By the end of its second weekend the film had a running total of RMB 4.36 billion ($673 million), making it the second highest-grossing film of 2021 and the fifth highest-grossing non-English film of all time.
Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian gave the film 3/5 stars, calling it "more no-holds-barred slapstick action". Todd McCarthy of Deadline Hollywood was less favorable, writing: "Its enormous box office numbers notwithstanding, I have to rate Detective Chinatown 3 as something of a disappointment after the raucously engaging first two entries." John Berra of Screen International gave the film a favorable review, writing that it "exudes a heightened zaniness which is most welcome in today’s largely homogenised franchise landscape" and "is an insanely colourful, no expense spared blockbuster".
- "Box Office: 'Detective Chinatown 3' Tops 'Avengers: Endgame' With $160M Friday". Forbes. 12 February 2021. Retrieved 16 February 2021.
- "Detective Chinatown 3 (2021)". Entgroup. Retrieved 12 March 2021.
- "Detective Chinatown 3 (2021)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 1 March 2021.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (23 January 2020). "Chinese New Year Films Shelved Amid Coronavirus Outbreak, Ahead Of Key Annual Holiday Period". Deadline. Retrieved 29 July 2020.
- "《唐人街探案3》回归春节档 2021大年初一开年见喜". Maoyan (in Chinese). 9 October 2020. Retrieved 16 November 2020.
- Brzeski, Patrick (10 February 2021). "China Box Office: 'Detective Chinatown 3' Hits $85M in Presales, Nearing Record". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 12 February 2021.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (11 February 2021). "'Detective Chinatown 3' Tops $100M In Pre-Sales For Day One Of Lunar New Year As Records Fall". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 12 February 2021.
- Brzeski, Patrick (12 February 2021). "China Box Office: 'Detective Chinatown 3' Rockets Past $125M on First Day of Lunar New Year". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 12 February 2021.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (11 February 2021). "'Detective Chinatown 3' Sets All-Time Record For Opening Day In A Single Market With $163M; IMAX Hits Middle Kingdom Milestone". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 12 February 2021.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (14 February 2021). "'Detective Chinatown 3' Tops 'Avengers: Endgame' For Biggest Opening Weekend Ever In A Single Market With $397M & IMAX Crushes Records; Performance Perks Up Hollywood Hope". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 14 February 2021.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (21 February 2021). "Chinese New Year Pics 'Hi, Mom' & 'Detective Chinatown 3' Top $600M Each As Middle Kingdom Exceeds $2B In 2021 – International Box Office". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 22 February 2021.
- Davis, Rebecca (21 February 2021). "China Box Office: 'Hi, Mom' Overtakes Initial Frontrunner 'Detective Chinatown 3' in Total Sales". Variety. Retrieved 23 February 2021.
- Bradshaw, Peter (23 January 2020). "Detective Chinatown 3 review – majestically madcap buddy-cop whodunnit". The Guardian.
- McCarthy, Todd (21 February 2021). "Int'l Critics Line: Chen Sicheng's Action Comedy 'Detective Chinatown 3'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 22 February 2021.
- Berra, John (15 February 2021). "'Detective Chinatown 3': Review". Screen International. Retrieved 23 February 2021.