|Also known as||DxYx|
|Genres||Powerviolence, hardcore punk|
|Years active||1994–1996, 2007–present|
|Labels||Pessimiser Records, Relapse, Slap-a-Ham, Theologian Records|
|Associated acts||Spazz, Crom, ACxDC, Lack of Interest, To the Point|
|Past members||Lulu Hernandez|
Despise You are an American powerviolence band from Inglewood, California, formed in 1994. The group is noted for helping influencing the powerviolence movement and for their bleak lyrics about topics such as gang violence, misanthropy, and self-hate. The band was known for being mysterious during their initial run; they often used pseudonyms in their liner notes and they never played live shows until their reformation in 2007. They've been described as "the angriest band in the world" by some.
Guitarist Phil Vera first met vocalist/guitarist Chris Elder back when they hosted an underground death metal/black metal-themed radio show called "Hour of the Goat" on KXLU from 1992-1994. The duo would then recruit bassist and vocalist Lulu Hernandez as well as drummer Rob Alaniz. Hernandez was only 16 when she joined the band. From 1995 to 1996, the group issued a few split 7-inch and compilation tracks through labels such as Pessimiser (which Elder owned and operated) and Slap-a-Ham before quietly breaking up in 1996. During their initial run, the group had a revolving door of members that included guitarist Jerry Flores from Excruciating Terror, drummer Martin Alvarado, and bassist Frankie Knuckles from Stapled Shut and Nausea (Los Angeles).
In 2007, the band reunited to perform their first ever live show. Hernandez did not join for the reunion, so to fill in her place the band recruited vocalist Cynthia Nishi and bassist Chris Dodge, operator of Slap-a-Ham and former member of Spazz. In 2011, the group released the split album And on and On... with Agoraphobic Nosebleed, which was issued through Relapse Records. The split included the first material written by the band since their reformation. In 2014, Dodge left the group to focus more on his family.
- Phil Vera – guitar
- Chris Elder – guitar, vocals (1994–1996) vocals (2007–present)
- Cynthia Nishi – vocals
- Andrew Solis – bass
- Jorge Herrera – drums
- Lulu Hernandez – bass, vocals
- Jerry Flores – guitar
- Frankie Knucks – bass
- Martin Alvarado – drums
- Chris Dodge – bass
- Rob Alaniz – drums
- Despise You 7-inch (1996, Theologian/Pessimiser)
- All Your Majestic Bullshit 7-inch (2015, Pessimiser)
- ...To Show How Much You Meant/Mechanized Flesh split 7-inch with Suppression (1995, Slap-a-Ham)
- split 7-inch with Crom (1995, Theologian/Pessimiser)
- split 7-inch with Stapled Shut (1996, Theologian/Pessimiser)
- split 7-inch with Coke Bust (2017, To Live A Lie)
- West Side Horizons (1999, Pessimiser)
- Kitteringham (2013-02-04), Sarah. "Despise You (AB Version)". beatroute.ca. Beat Route. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- Pell (2012-03-29), Nicholas. "Despise You Are More Hardcore Than Hardcore". laweekly.com. LA Weekly. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- n/a (2014-04-07). "Stagediving To Inner City Crime: Despise You And Magrudergrind Live". vice.com. Vice. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- Whelan (2013-07-13), Ken. "Despise You At The New Cross Inn: Live Review". terrorizer.com. Terrorizer. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- n/a (2011-04-28). "Despise You And Agoraphobic Nosebleed Interview". belowthescene.com. Blow The Scene. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- n/a (2014-03-14). "Interview: Chris Dodge of Spazz/Slap-A-Ham Records". toxicbreedsfunhouse.blogspot.com. Blogspot. Retrieved 2017-04-30.