Deryck Beyleveld is founding Director of the Sheffield Institute of Biotechnological Law and Ethics (SIBLE) and is now a member of Durham CELLS (Centre for Ethics and Law in the Life Sciences). He is Professor of Law and Bioethics, and a former Head of Law School at Durham University. He is on the editorial board of Medical Law International.
Professor Beyleveld is the leading exponent of the moral theory of the late Alan Gewirth and, as such, his work has attracted extensive academic support and criticism. Over a long career he has collaborated with many academics, principally Professor Roger Brownsword, King's College London and Professor Shaun Pattinson, Durham University.
- Dialectical Necessity of Morality: An Analysis and Defense of Alan Gewirth's Argument to the Principle of Generic Consistency University of Chicago Press, 1991. ISBN 0-226-04482-3
- Human Dignity in Bioethics and Biolaw (with Roger Brownsword) Oxford University Press, 2002. ISBN 0-19-826826-2
- S Toddington (1993). "Review of The Dialectical Necessity of Morality". Modern Law Review. 65: 619–620.
- Ethical rationalism and the law. Capps, Patrick,, Pattinson, Shaun D. Oxford. 2017. ISBN 9781849467865. OCLC 919107782.CS1 maint: others (link)
- M Singer (2000). "Gewirth, Beyleveld, and Dialectical Necessity". Ratio Juris. 13 (2): 177–195. doi:10.1111/1467-9337.00149.
|This United Kingdom law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|