Favors in October 2018
|No. 15 – Utah Jazz|
|Position||Power forward / Center|
|Born||July 15, 1991|
|Listed height||6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)|
|Listed weight||265 lb (120 kg)|
|High school||South Atlanta (Atlanta, Georgia)|
|College||Georgia Tech (2009–2010)|
|NBA draft||2010 / Round: 1 / Pick: 3rd overall|
|Selected by the New Jersey Nets|
|2010–2011||New Jersey Nets|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Derrick Bernard Favors (born July 15, 1991) is an American professional basketball player for the Utah Jazz of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Favors played college basketball for Georgia Tech for one season before being drafted third overall by the New Jersey Nets in the 2010 NBA draft. He was later traded to Utah in 2011.
High school career
Favors played high school basketball at South Atlanta High School, where he was ranked as one of the best high school basketball players in the class of 2009. Scout.com rated him the #1 player in the country, #2 in the ESPNU100, and #4 by Rivals.com. On March 14, 2009, he led South Atlanta to the Georgia Class AAA state championship. He scored 38 points and had 21 rebounds in the championship game against Westover High School. He was named to the 2009 McDonald's All-American Team. He led the East to a 113–110 victory and was named the MVP of the game. He scored 19 points and had 8 rebounds. Favors was selected to participate in the 2009 Nike Hoop Summit in Portland, Oregon but pulled out due to personal reasons and he was also selected to play in the 2009 Jordan Brand Classic at Madison Square Garden where he scored a game-high 21 points and was named MVP for the black team, while Renardo Sidney was named MVP for the white team. He finished his senior season averaging 28.1 points, 13.3 rebounds, 5.0 blocks, 3.0 steals and 2.0 assists per game and holds the career records in points (2,341), rebounds (1,511) and blocked shots (741).
Favors played both power forward and center for Paul Hewitt's Yellow Jackets. The front court consisted of a three-man rotation of Favors, Gani Lawal and Zach Peacock. In ACC games, he averaged 11.8 points and 8.7 rebounds per game and shot 62.5% from the field. He also helped lead the Yellow Jackets to the ACC tournament finals against Duke. During the tournament, he posted 17 points, 9.8 rebounds and 3 blocks per game.
Favors was named ACC Rookie of the Year and to the ACC All-Freshman Team.
New Jersey Nets (2010–2011)
On April 9, 2010, Favors announced he would forgo his final three years of college eligibility to enter the 2010 NBA draft where he was subsequently selected with the third overall pick by the New Jersey Nets. Favors was 19 years 104 days when he made his NBA debut, thus becoming the youngest player ever to set foot on court for the Nets. In just his third game with the Nets on October 31, 2010 against Miami, he recorded his first career double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds (10 offensive) in a 101–78 loss.
Utah Jazz (2011–present)
On February 23, 2011, Favors was traded, along with Devin Harris and two future first-round picks, to the Utah Jazz in exchange for Deron Williams. He went on to score a season-high 17 points on April 9 against San Antonio.
On October 19, 2013, Favors signed a four-year contract extension with the Jazz.
On November 1, 2014, Favors scored a then career-high 32 points in a 118–91 win over the Phoenix Suns. On November 12, 2015, he recorded 25 points, 12 rebounds and a career-high 7 blocks in a loss to the Miami Heat. On December 5, 2015, he scored a career-high 35 points in a 122–119 overtime win over the Indiana Pacers. On January 25, 2016, Favors returned to the floor after a 16-game absence due to a back problem. He played 19 minutes off the bench and recorded 14 points and 5 rebounds in a loss to the Detroit Pistons.
On March 13, 2018, in a 110–79 win over the Detroit Pistons, Favors climbed to 10th place on Utah's all-time rebounding list with 3,602 rebounds. He passed former Utah center Mehmet Okur, who pulled down 3,599 rebounds with the Jazz. On April 11, 2018, in a 102–93 win over the Portland Trail Blazers, Favors played in his 500th game with the Jazz, becoming the 12th player in franchise history to reach the milestone. In Game 2 of the Jazz's first-round playoff series against the Oklahoma City Thunder, Favors had career playoff bests of 20 points and 16 rebounds in a 102–95 win.
On July 6, 2018, Favors re-signed with the Jazz. On January 11, 2019, he had a season-high 13 rebounds in a 113–95 win over the Los Angeles Lakers, thus passing Greg Ostertag (3,978) for fourth place on the franchise's all-time rebounding list.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- "Derrick Favors". nba.com. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- Favors #1 by Scout. Scouthoops.scout.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-14.
- Favors #2 by ESPNU. Insider.espn.go.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-14.
- Derrick Favors caps career in style. Insider.espn.go.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-14.
- Favors Named MVP of McDonalds All American Game.
- Derrick Favors Pulls Out of Nike Hoop Summit. Draftexpress.com (2009-03-23). Retrieved on 2011-06-14.
- Big men shine in Jordan Brand Classic. Sports.espn.go.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-14.
- "Derrick Favors Player Bio".
- Derrick Favors to Declare for NBA Draft
- "Young Jarrett Allen impresses teammates in NBA debut". newsday.com. October 21, 2017. Retrieved February 27, 2018.
- LeBron James leads balanced effort as Heat blow out Nets
- "Jazz Obtains Harris and Favors from New Jersey". NBA.com. February 23, 2011. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- Richard Jefferson powers Spurs' reserves to win over Jazz
- Utah Jazz sign Derrick Favors to contract extension
- Favors powers Jazz to first win, 118-91 over Suns
- Bosh scores 25, Johnson adds 17 and Heat top Jazz 92-91
- Favors scores 35 as Jazz beat Pacers 122-119 in OT
- Jackson scores 29, Pistons defeat Jazz 95-92
- "Hot start propels Jazz to 110-79 win over Pistons". ESPN.com. March 13, 2018. Retrieved March 13, 2018.
- "Blazers claim No. 3 seed with 102-93 win over Utah". ESPN.com. April 11, 2018. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- "Mitchell lifts Jazz past Thunder 102-95 to even series". ESPN.com. April 18, 2018. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "Jazz Agree to Terms with Favors, Exum and Neto". NBA.com. July 6, 2018. Retrieved July 6, 2018.
- "Mitchell dominates, Jazz beat Lakers 113-95". ESPN.com. January 11, 2019. Retrieved January 12, 2019.
- Adidas Signs Lottery Pick Derrick Favors. Boards.ign.com (2010-01-07). Retrieved on 2011-06-14.
- Loyal To The Game. Slamonline.com (2010-07-02). Retrieved on 2011-06-14.