for the House of Commons
Boundary of Delyn in Wales
|Electorate||54,405 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Mold, Flint, Holywell|
|Member of Parliament||Rob Roberts (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Flintshire West, Flintshire East|
|Senedd Cymru – Welsh Parliament||North Wales|
Delyn is a constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, first used in the 1983 general election. It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.
The Delyn Welsh Assembly constituency was created with the same boundaries in 1999.
1983–1997: The Borough of Delyn, and the Borough of Rhuddlan wards of Meliden, Prestatyn Central, Prestatyn East, Prestatyn North, and Prestatyn South West.
1997–2010: The Borough of Delyn.
2010–present: The Flintshire electoral divisions of Argoed, Bagillt East, Bagillt West, Brynford, Caerwys, Cilcain, Ffynnongroyw, Flint Castle, Flint Coleshill, Flint Oakenholt, Flint Trelawney, Greenfield, Gronant, Gwernaffield, Gwernymynydd, Halkyn, Holywell Central, Holywell East, Holywell West, Leeswood, Mold Broncoed, Mold East, Mold South, Mold West, Mostyn, New Brighton, Northop, Northop Hall, Trelawnyd and Gwaenysgor, and Whitford.
The Delyn constituency was created in 1983 from the seats of Flintshire West and Flintshire East. It is normally inclined to elect Labour MPs, although the Conservatives won the seat in their 1983 and 1987 landslide elections, and regained it in 2019 when they won their biggest national majority since the 1980s. From 1983 to 1997, the constituency included Tory-leaning Prestatyn, which was then transferred to the Vale of Clwyd seat.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 1980s
|Plaid Cymru||Haydn Huws||1,558||3.2||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
|Plaid Cymru||David Owen||1,329||2.5||−0.7|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrats||Raymond Dodd||6,208||11.2||−5.8|
|Plaid Cymru||Ashley J. Drake||1,414||2.5||±0.0|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+3.0|
|Liberal Democrats||David Lloyd||4,160||10.2||−1.0|
|Plaid Cymru||Ashley J. Drake||1,558||3.8||+1.3|
|Referendum||Elizabeth H. Soutter||1,117||2.7||N/A|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||John Jones||5,329||15.4||+5.2|
|Plaid Cymru||Paul Rowlinson||2,262||6.5||+2.7|
|Liberal Democrats||John Jones||6,089||17.9||+2.5|
|Plaid Cymru||Phil Thomas||2,524||7.4||+0.9|
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Bill Brereton||5,747||15.5||-2.4|
|Plaid Cymru||Peter Ryder||1,844||5.0||-2.4|
|Plaid Cymru||Paul Rowlinson||1,803||4.8||-0.2|
|Liberal Democrats||Tom Rippeth||1,380||3.7||-11.8|
Of the 75 rejected ballots:
- 54 were either unmarked or it was uncertain who the vote was for.
- 20 voted for more than one candidate.
- 1 had writing or mark by which the voter could be identified.
|Plaid Cymru||Paul Rowlinson||1,481||3.8||-1.0|
|Liberal Democrats||Tom Rippeth||1,031||2.6||-1.1|
Of the 69 rejected ballots:
- 48 were either unmarked or it was uncertain who the vote was for.
- 19 voted for more than one candidate.
- 2 had writing or mark by which the voter could be identified.
|Liberal Democrats||Andrew Parkhurst||2,346||6.1||+3.5|
|Brexit Party||Nigel Williams||1,971||5.1||N/A|
|Plaid Cymru||Paul Rowlinson||1,406||3.7||-0.1|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing|
Of the 105 rejected ballots:
- 87 were either unmarked or it was uncertain who the vote was for.
- 18 voted for more than one candidate.
- Delyn (Senedd Cymru constituency)
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Clwyd
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Wales
Notes and references
- "Beyond 20/20 WDS - Table view". 2011 Electorate Figures. StatsWales. 1 December 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 1)
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "BBC NEWS>VOTE 2001>Results and Constituencies>Delyn". Vote 2001. BBC News. 1 May 1997. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "BBC NEWS > Delyn". Vote 2001. BBC News. 7 June 2001. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "2001 Results". Flintshire Council. Flintshire Council. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Delyn parliamentary constituency - Election 2005" – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "2005 Results". Flintshire Council. Flintshire Council. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Delyn BBC Election - Delyn
- "Results". Flintshire Council. Flintshire Council. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Delyn result". Election Results For Delyn. Flintshire County Council. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Delyn Parliamentary constituency". Election 2015 Results. BBC. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "Delyn Parliamentary constituency". Election 2017 Results. BBC. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "2017 Results". Flintshire Council. Flintshire Council. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "Search Results" (PDF). Flintshire County Council. Flintshire County Council. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "Delyn parliamentary constituency - Election 2019". BBC News. Retrieved 18 December 2019.