This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Deena Horst was a Republican member of the Kansas House of Representatives, representing the 69th district. She served from 1995 until 2010, when she was defeated in a primary by Tom Arpke, who would win the seat in the general election. Horst currently serves on the Kansas Board of Education, representing District 6, after defeating Salina Democrat Carol Viar in the 2012 general election. She has also served as Precinct Committee Woman for the Saline County Kansas Republican Party, and has previously worked as secretary for the Saline County Republican Party Central Committee.
A teacher by profession, she has been an Art Teacher/Department Chair with Unified School District 305, South Middle School, Salina, Kansas since 1968. Horst has a BSE from Kansas State Teachers College, an MA from Emporia State University, and is currently working towards her EDD at Kansas State University.
Horst's answers to the Kansas State Legislative Election 2008 Political Courage Test are available.
In the test she lists her legislative priorities:
1) Ensuring that leading every classroom is a highly, qualified teacher who has the support and materials needed to be highly effective;
2) Making certain that all Kansans who truly need assistance in accessing health care and other services, receive it;
3) Requiring each energy utility in Kansas to develop a realistic, affordable balance between renewable and non-renewable energy sources; and
4) Encouraging economic development through establishing a business climate which is competitive with surrounding states.
- Education (Vice-Chair)
- Higher Education
- Aging and Long Term Care
- Joint Committee on Arts and Cultural Resources (Chair)
Horst raised $21,585 in 2010. The top 5 donors to Horst's 2008 campaign:
- 1. Saline County Republican Central Cmte $1,005
- 2. Kansas Contractors Assoc $1,000
- 3. Kansas Realtors Assoc $900
- 4. Kansas Optometric Assoc $750
- 5. Kansas Assoc of Insurance Agents $600
Horst raised $11,031 in 2010. The top 5 donors to Horst's 2010 campaign:
- 1. Kansas Farm Bureau $500
- 2. Kansas Optometric Association $500
- 3. Graves, Hl $500
- 4. Blue Beacon Intnl $500
- 5. Kansas Livestock Association $500
Horst raised $8,809 in 2012. The top 5 donors to Horst's 2012 campaign:
- 1. Horst, Deena $3,000
- 2. Horst, Deena L $3,000
- 3. Graves, Helen $500
- 4. Geary County Republican Central Cmte $250
- 5. Blue Beacon International $250
- "Salina Journal - Horst ousted (accessed 14 March 2013)". Archived from the original on 30 October 2011. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- Kansas Secretary of State - 2010 General Election Results
- Kansas Secretary of State - 2012 General Election Results
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Deena Horst Biography
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign Contributions
- Follow the Money - 2010 Campaign Contributions
- Follow the Money - 2012 Campaign Contributions