This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Alma mater||Arkansas State University|
University of Missouri
|Occupation||Veterinarian, talk show host|
|Title||Miss Missouri 1989|
Miss America 1990
Gerald Bell (m. 2008)
Debbye Turner Bell (born September 19, 1965 in Honolulu, Hawaii) is an American TV anchor, veterinarian, talk show host, former beauty queen and winner of the 1990 Miss America pageant three days before her 25th birthday.
Early life and education
Turner was born in Honolulu, Hawaii and raised in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Turner earned a Bachelor of Science in agriculture from Arkansas State University, and attended the University of Missouri. She is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. Turner also spent a couple of years honing her public service skills working for Safeway Stores.
In 1991, she received her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from the University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine. She became a spokesperson for Purina and pursued a career in veterinary medicine before going into television.
Turner was the first runner-up at the Miss Arkansas Pageant, a state preliminary competition for the Miss America program in 1988.
In the summer of 1989, she won the Miss Missouri title and went on to win the 1990 Miss America crown. Turner is a singer, pianist, and skilled percussionist, evidenced by her marimba rendition of '"Flight of the Bumblebee"' in the talent portion of the 1990 Miss America contest. Turner was the third African-American national titleholder and the first—and as of 2017, the only—Miss Missouri to be crowned Miss America.
Six years later, Turner joined CBS News as a feature correspondent then became their "resident veterinarian" and a fill-in anchor. Turner was also a fill-in anchor on the CBS Morning News. Turner left CBS in 2012. She has appeared on Animal Planet's Cats 101 and Dogs 101 series. She is currently the host of Arise America, on Arise News.
Turner married Gerald Bell in 2008. The couple have a daughter, Lynlee Julia Bell, born February 3, 2010.
- Hendricks, Nancy. "Debbye Turner (1965– )". Encyclopedia of Arkansas. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- "Miss America 1990 Debbye Turner: A Profile of Success". Pageantrymagazine.com. 1989-09-16. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- Tauber, Michelle; Neill, Mike; Russell, Lisa; Fowler, Joanne; Dam, Julie; Tresniowski, Alex; Miller, Samantha; Dougherty, Steve; Yu, Ting (October 16, 2000). "American Beauties: 80 Years". People.
- "Bell Welcomes Baby Girl". CBS News. February 4, 2010.
- Turner's official website
- Debbye's Arise News Twitter
- Turner biography at The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture
|Awards and achievements|
| Miss America
| Miss Missouri
| National Sweetheart