|Born||1951 (age 68–69)|
Akron, Ohio, U.S.
|Area(s)||Retailer, Columnist, Editor, Executive|
|VP, Product Development, Dark Horse Comics|
|Awards||Inkpot Award, 1977|
David Scroggy (b. 1951 in Akron, Ohio) is an American retailer, columnist, editor, and executive in the field of comic books. From 1993 to 2017, he was head of new product development at Dark Horse Comics.
Scroggy started out in the comics business in 1975. Having moved from Ohio to San Diego, Scroggy was hired by Shel Dorf, organizer of the San Diego Comic-Con, to work as a volunteer at the convention. With Dorf's encouragement and assistance, Scroggy began writing a column for Alan Light's trade publication The Buyer's Guide to Comics Fandom (later known as the Comics Buyer's Guide). This in turn got him in the door at the local San Diego retailer Pacific Comics. Before long, Scroggy had risen to general manager of Pacific Comics' four San Diego shops (his full title was Wholesale Distribution Manager). For his work in the industry, Scroggy was given an Inkpot Award at San Diego Comic-Con in 1977.
Later, when Pacific Comics expanded into publishing, Scroggy helped to bring the reclusive Steve Ditko to Pacific. In 1981 he was named Editorial Director of the comics division; he also edited Jack Kirby's Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers and the Pacific anthology Vanguard Illustrated during that period.
Scroggy left Pacific in 1984 to become organizer of the annual San Diego Comic Book Expo, the trade show associated with the San Diego Comic-Con. He worked as an editor at Eclipse Comics in 1985. During this same period, roughly from 1983 to c. 1992, Scroggy worked as an agent for creators in the comics industry. He was an editor at Dark Horse Comics in 1989, and started Dark Horse's Product Development department in 1993. Scroggy again had a column in Comics Buyer's Guide in the 1990s.
- Scroggy entry, Who's Who of American Comic Books: 1928–1999. Accessed Dec. 6, 2019.
- "Hal Scroggy's Watercolor Portrait of Shel". Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Cooke, Jon B. A Guy Named Yoe," Comic Book Creator #20 (TwoMorrows Publishing, Aug 14, 2019).
- Sanford, Jay Allen. "Two Men and their Comic Books," San Diego Reader (Aug. 19, 2004).
- "DARK HORSE'S DAVE SCROGGY ON BILL LIEBOWITZ "'Missed but Never Replaced',"ICv2 (October 28, 2004).
- "Pictures of Shel Dorf and David Scroggy Together in 1993," Shel Dorf tribute website (MARCH 12, 2010).
- "DAVID SCROGGY, VP OF PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, LEAVES DARK HORSE," Dark Horse official website (06/30/2017).
- "Special Guests: David Scroggy," Comic-Con International: San Diego website. Accessed Dec. 6, 2019.
- "Interview with Dave Scroggy on Dark Horse Merchandise," ICv2 (August 1, 2004)