McVicar was born in Glasgow in 1966. He studied as an actor at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, graduating in 1989. In 2007, The Independent ranked him among the 100 most influential gay and lesbian people in Britain. He was the guest on the BBC's Desert Island Discs on 5 October 2008.
- Adriana Lecouvreur: Royal Opera House
- Andrea Chenier: Royal Opera House
- Agrippina: La Monnaie, Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, English National Opera
- Aida: Royal Opera House
- Alcina: Bilbao, Oviedo, English National Opera
- Anna Bolena, Metropolitan Opera 2011
- Billy Budd: Lyric Opera of Chicago
- La bohème: Glyndebourne Festival Opera
- Carmen: Glyndebourne Festival Opera
- Cavalleria rusticana/Pagliacci, Metropolitan Opera 2016
- La clemenza di Tito: English National Opera
- Les contes d'Hoffmann: Salzburg Festival, Vlaamse Opera
- Don Giovanni: La Monnaie
- Elektra: Lyric Opera of Chicago
- Faust: La Monnaie
- Fidelio: New Zealand International Arts Festival
- Giulio Cesare: Glyndebourne Festival Opera, Metropolitan Opera 2013
- Hamlet: Opera North
- Idomeneo: Vlaamse Opera, Scottish Opera
- L'incoronazione di Poppea: Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, Opéra national du Rhin, Copenhagen Opera House
- Macbeth: Mariinsky Theatre, Royal Opera House
- Madama Butterfly: Scottish Opera
- Manon: New Zealand Opera, Dallas Opera, Houston Grand Opera, Liceu
- Maria Stuarda, Metropolitan Opera, 2013
- A Midsummer Night's Dream: La Monnaie
- Norma: Metropolitan Opera, 2017
- Le nozze di Figaro: Royal Opera House
- The Rape of Lucretia: Aldeburgh Festival
- Il re pastore: Opera North
- Rigoletto: Royal Opera House
- Rusalka: Lyric Opera of Chicago
- Der Rosenkavalier: Opera North, Scottish Opera
- Roberto Devereux, Metropolitan Opera 2016
- Salome: Royal Opera House
- Semele: Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, Opéra national du Rhin
- Sweeney Todd: Opera North
- Tamerlano: Deutsche Oper am Rhein
- Tosca: English National Opera, Metropolitan Opera 2018
- Il trovatore: Metropolitan Opera 2013, Lyric Opera of Chicago, San Francisco Opera
- Wozzeck: Lyric Opera of Chicago
- Die Zauberflöte: La Monnaie, Royal Opera House
- Tosca: Metropolitan Opera, 2017-18
McVicar's productions of Faust, Le nozze di Figaro, Die Zauberflöte, Rigoletto and Salome at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, his Carmen and much-acclaimed Giulio Cesare at Glyndebourne, and his Manon at the Liceu are all available on DVD.
- Kimberley, Nick (8 September 2001). "Opera's hot - and this man is the reason why". The Independent. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- Cooper, Michael (18 March 2016). "Can David McVicar Bring Peace to the Opera Wars?". New York Times. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- The Independent, (6 May 2007), "The pink list 2007: The IoS annual celebration of the great and the gay" Archived 7 January 2008 at the Wayback Machine; retrieved 25 June 2007.
- "No. 60173". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 June 2012. p. 1.
- "Kenneth Branagh knighted in Queen's Birthday Honours". BBC News. 15 June 2012. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Profile, telegraph.co.uk; accessed 14 June 2014.