This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Early life and education
Llewellyn-Smith was born in Sydney, Australia.
Llewellyn-Smith was the founding publisher of The Diplomat, an Australian international business and politics magazine, in 2000, and was its publisher and later Editor-in-Chief for eight years. The magazine published special issues "Global 100", "FDI 100" and "SMEGlobal100" in conjunction with Ibisworld. The magazine was sold in 2007 and it now operates online as an international relations website for the Asian region.
In 2009, Llewellyn-Smith co-authored The Great Crash of 2008 with Australian economist Ross Garnaut. The book was published by Melbourne University Press. The authors attribute the global financial crisis to four factors: global imbalances; global housing bubbles, the emergence of "clever money" and increasing greed.
Also in 2009, Llewellyn-Smith created "The Distillery", a five-day-per-week morning column in the Business Spectator. The column critiqued business commentators in major newspapers and remains in circulation in 2014.
Llewellyn-Smith's articles on economics and political economy have been published in The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age and the ABC's The Drum. He is frequently quoted in news reports on economic topics.
Notes and references
- "We need to hear the truth about Casino Australia". The New Daily 30 June 2015, Rob Burgess
- McIntyre, Paul (8 September 2004), "'Non-American' Time heavies small local rival.(Brief Article)", Australasian Business Intelligence, COMTEX News Network, Inc, ISSN 1320-6680
- "A bet on instability", Australasian Business Intelligence, COMTEX News Network, Inc, 1 April 2009, ISSN 1320-6680
- "Will the property bubble burst or simply deflate?". The Bull.
- Nathan, Andrew J (1 March 2010), "The Great Crash of 2008.("Gravity Shift: How Asia's New Economic Powerhouses Will Shape the Twenty-first Century" and "Strategic Asia 2009-10: Economic Meltdown and Geopolitical Stability")(Book review)", Foreign Affairs, Council on Foreign Relations, Inc, 89 (2): 170, ISSN 0015-7120
- "The Great Crash of 2008; Gravity Shift: How Asia's New Economic Powerhouses Will Shape the Twenty-first Century; Strategic Asia 2009-10: Economic Meltdown and Geopolitical Stability". Foreign Affairs.
- "Debunking the great Australian banking myth". The Drum By Ian Verrender, 19 Oct 2014
- "Reading about the Financial Crisis". Andrew W. Lo.24 October 2011.
- "Ads sales may be key", Australasian Business Intelligence, COMTEX News Network, Inc, 28 June 2012, ISSN 1320-6680. via Highbeam (subscription required)
- "Reserve Bank governor Glenn Stevens versus corporate Australia ". Herald Sun.
- "Investor loan growth limit breached by three major banks". ABC News By business reporter Sue Lannin 9 Mar 2015
- "Housing myths have been stretched to the limit". The New Daily, 28 April 2015, Rob Burgess
- "Proportion of landlords making rental losses peaked in 2008: Macrobusiness". Property Observer.