This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||July 7, 1954|
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
|Known for||Low-dimensional topology|
|Awards||Oswald Veblen Prize in Geometry (2004)|
Clay Research Award (2009)
|Doctoral advisor||William Thurston|
David Gabai is an American mathematician and the Hughes-Rogers Professor of Mathematics at Princeton University. Focused on low-dimensional topology and hyperbolic geometry, he is a leading researcher in those subjects.
David Gabai received his B.S. in mathematics from MIT in 1976 and his Ph.D. in mathematics from Princeton University in 1980. Gabai completed his doctoral dissertation, titled "Foliations and genera of links", under the supervision of William Thurston.
After positions at Harvard and University of Pennsylvania, Gabai spent most of the period of 1986–2001 at Caltech, and has been at Princeton since 2001. Gabai was the Chair of the Department of Mathematics at Princeton University from 2012 to 2019.
Honours and awards
David Gabai has played a key role in the field of topology of 3-manifolds in the last three decades. Some of the foundational results he and his collaborators have proved are as follows: Existence of taut foliation in 3-manifolds, Property R Conjecture, foundation of essential laminations, Seifert fiber space conjecture, rigidity of homotopy hyperbolic 3-manifolds, weak hyperbolization for 3-manifolds with genuine lamination, Smale conjecture for hyperbolic 3-manifolds, Marden's Tameness Conjecture, Weeks manifold being the minimum volume closed hyperbolic 3-manifold.
- Foliations and the topology of 3-manifolds; I: J. Differential Geom. 18 (1983), no. 3, 445–503; II: J. Differential Geom. 26 (1987), no. 3, 461–478; III: J. Differential Geom. 26 (1987), no. 3, 479–536.
- with U. Oertel: Essential laminations in 3-manifolds, Ann. of Math. (2) 130 (1989), no. 1, 41–73.
- Convergence groups are Fuchsian groups, Ann. of Math. (2) 136 (1992), no. 3, 447–510.
- with G. R. Meyerhoff, N. Thurston: Homotopy hyperbolic 3-manifolds are hyperbolic, Ann. of Math. (2) 157 (2003), no. 2, 335–431.
- with D. Calegari: Shrinkwrapping and the taming of hyperbolic 3-manifolds, J. Amer. Math. Soc. 19 (2006), no. 2, 385–446.
- with G. R. Meyerhoff, P. Milley: Minimum volume cusped hyperbolic three-manifolds, J. Amer. Math. Soc. 22 (2009), no. 4, 1157–1215.
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF).
- "David Gabai | Math Faculty". www.math.princeton.edu. Retrieved 2019-10-13.
- Gabai, David (1980). Foliations and genera of links.
- "David Gabai - CV" (PDF).
- 2004 Veblen Prize
- "ICM Plenary and Invited Speakers since 1897". International Congress of Mathematicians.
- Members and Foreign Associates Elected Archived May 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine, National Academy of Sciences, May 3, 2011.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-01-19.
- "David Gabai". American Academy of Arts & Sciences. Retrieved 2020-05-13.