Beaver County, Pennsylvania
Autumn scenery in southwest Darlington Township
near the borough of Darlington
|• Total||22.05 sq mi (57.10 km2)|
|• Land||21.97 sq mi (56.91 km2)|
|• Water||0.07 sq mi (0.19 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||86.75/sq mi (33.49/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 22.0 square miles (57.1 km2), of which 22.0 square miles (56.9 km2) is land and 0.08 square miles (0.2 km2), or 0.33%, is water.
Darlington Township has nine borders, including Little Beaver Township and Enon Valley (both in Lawrence County) to the north, Big Beaver and New Galilee to the east, a very small border with Chippewa Township to the southeast, South Beaver Township to the south, and the Columbiana County, Ohio townships of Middleton and Unity to the west. The borough of Darlington is situated within Darlingtown Township near the southeastern corner.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,974 people, 782 households, and 570 families residing in the township. The population density was 89.6 people per square mile (34.6/km²). There were 847 housing units at an average density of 38.4/sq mi (14.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 99.44% White, 0.10% African American, 0.20% Native American, and 0.25% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.15% of the population.
There were 782 households, out of which 29.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.4% were married couples living together, 9.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.0% were non-families. 24.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 10.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the township the population was spread out, with 23.0% under the age of 18, 6.6% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 25.4% from 45 to 64, and 15.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $38,011, and the median income for a family was $43,875. Males had a median income of $31,815 versus $21,336 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,173. About 8.1% of families and 10.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.2% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Darlington township, Beaver County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- PennDOT (October 1, 1982). "Nomination Form" (PDF). National Register of Historic Places. Retrieved April 9, 2009.[dead link]
- https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/advanced-viewer/ The National Map, retrieved 3 October 2018
- Pennsylvania State Game Lands Number 285, retrieved 3 October 2018
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.