O'Rourke playing for Indiana
|Date of birth||May 31, 1983|
|Place of birth||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|2002||Chicago Fire Premier|
|2003||Columbus Shooting Stars||7||(0)|
|2004||Chicago Fire Premier||8||(1)|
|2005||San Jose Earthquakes||14||(0)|
|2006||New York Red Bulls||28||(0)|
|2015||Portland Timbers 2||0||(0)|
|2018–||Indiana Hoosiers (assistant)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of April 22, 2015|
High School and College
O'Rourke played high school soccer at Worthington Kilbourne High School in Worthington, Ohio. He was captain during the 2000 season, during which they won the state championship. Named Ohio Capital Conference player of the year, All-Ohio Capital Conference First Team, All-District, and All-State.
O'Rourke played college soccer for Indiana University from 2001 to 2004, starting every game he played in during his four years. Selected as All-Big 10 as a sophomore, junior, and senior, O'Rourke was named a first team All-American his senior season, also winning the Hermann Trophy while leading Indiana to a second consecutive NCAA Championship over UC Santa Barbara. O'Rourke finished his career at Indiana having played in 83 games, registering two goals and five assists. During his collegiate career, O'Rourke played for three teams in the amateur Premier Development League. In 2000, he spent time with the Dayton Gemini. In 2003, he played for the Columbus Shooting Stars and in 2002 and 2004 with the Chicago Fire Premier.
O'Rourke was drafted by the San Jose Earthquakes with the fourth overall pick of the 2005 MLS SuperDraft. He began the year as a starter before losing his spot to Ricardo Clark. Along with the rest of his Earthquakes teammates, he moved to Houston for the 2006 season, but was traded to New York Red Bulls for Adrian Serioux a week before the season started.
In his first years playing for MLS, he was considered as one of the bright young prospects at midfield. In 2008, he shifted to center back. Since 2009, O'Rourke has played a mix of midfield and defender positions.
O'Rourke re-signed with Columbus for the 2013 season on December 17, 2012.
- 2005 MLS SuperDraft Results Archived November 17, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- "A SERIOUX TRADE Red Bulls acquire O'Rourke from Houston in exchange of defensive midfielders". Bigapplesoccer.com. Archived from the original on May 29, 2014. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- "Crew acquires Danny O'Rourke, Will Hesmer from Toronto - OurSports Central - Independent and Minor League Sports News". OurSports Central. November 17, 2006. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- Crew Communications (December 17, 2012). "Crew re-signs Danny O'Rourke | Columbus Crew". Thecrew.com. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- "Portland Timbers sign defender Danny O'Rourke | Portland Timbers". Timbers.com. May 31, 1983. Retrieved May 28, 2014.