This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Polk County Public Schools|
|Polk County, Florida|
|Grades||Pre-school through 12th|
This section may lend undue weight to certain ideas, incidents, or controversies. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Intelligent design controversy
In November 2007, four Polk County School Board members interviewed by The Ledger daily newspaper said they would support a resolution advising the Florida Board of Education to revise proposed science standards to include alternative theories to evolution.
Expulsion of student for science experiment
In 2013 the district expelled a 16-year-old girl after her experiment mixing household materials resulted in a small explosion. The student was arrested and charged with possession/discharge of a weapon on school property and discharging a destructive device. Scientists posted tweets condemning the district's response. Tiffany Madison of the Washington Times argued that the district's punishment reflected American schools becoming "mindless, bureaucratic prisons".
- Auburndale Senior High School (mascot: Bloodhounds)
- Bartow Senior High School (Yellow Jackets)
- Chain of Lakes Collegiate High School (Eagles)
- Fort Meade Middle-Senior High School (Miners)
- Frostproof Middle-Senior High School (Bulldogs)
- George Jenkins Senior High School (Eagles)
- Haines City Senior High School (Hornets)
- Jewett High School Former black high school in Winter Haven prior to integration
- Harrison School for the Arts
- Kathleen Senior High School (Red Devils)
- Lake Gibson Senior High School (Braves)
- Lake Region Senior High School (Thunder)
- Lakeland Senior High School (Dreadnaughts)
- Lake Wales High School (Highlanders)
- McKeel Academy of Technology (Wildcats)
- Mulberry High School (Panthers)
- Polk State College Lakeland Collegiate High School (Eagles)
- Ridge Community High School (Bolts)
- Rochelle School of the Arts Black high school prior to integration; now a K-8 magnet.
- Roosevelt High School, a black high school in Lake Wales prior to integration.
- Tenoroc Senior High School (Titans)
- Union Academy Former black high school before integration; now a middle school
- Winter Haven Senior High School (Blue Devils)
- Edgar Padgett Elementary
- Griffin Elementary School
- Kathleen Elementary
- Lake Alfred Elementary
- North Lakeland Elementary
- Polk City Elementary School
- R. Bruce Wagner Elementary
- Rochelle School of the Arts
- Sandhill Elementary School
- Sleepy Hill Elementary
- Spessard L. Holland Elementary School
- Loughman Oaks Elementary School
- Wendell Watson Elementary
- Scott Lake Elementary School
- "Contact Us." Polk County Public Schools. Accessed October 25, 2018.
- "Majority Opposes Science Proposal". The Ledger. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- "Kiera Wilmot Expelled: Scientists, Teachers Outraged By Harsh Punishment For Teen's Experiment Accident." International Business Times. May 2, 2013. Retrieved on May 6, 2013.
- Madison, Tiffany. "Florida schoolgirl charged with felonies for science experiment." Washington Times. Wednesday May 1, 2013. Retrieved on May 6, 2013.
- "School Uniform & Dress Code Information." Polk County Public Schools. Accessed October 25, 2018.
- Hendrick, Charles; Schmidt, Pete (May 26, 1965). "204 Negroes to go to all-white schools". Tampa Tribune. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "Rochelle High School". City of Lakeland. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "African American Sites in Florida". Pineapple Press Inc. Jan 12, 2007 – via Google Books.