|Dallas Symphony Orchestra (DSO)|
|Concert hall||Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center|
The orchestra traces its origins to a concert given by a group of forty musicians in 1900 with conductor Hans Kreissig. It continued to perform and grow in numbers and stature, so that in 1945 it was in a position to appoint Antal Doráti as music director. Under Doráti, the orchestra became fully professional. Several times during the history of the orchestra it has suspended operations, including periods during the First and Second World Wars from 1914 to 1918 and from 1942 to 1945, and more recently in 1974 due to fiscal restraints. Subsequent music directors have included Georg Solti, Anshel Brusilow, and Eduardo Mata. Andrew Litton was music director from 1992 to 2006. During Litton's tenure, the orchestra recorded the four Rachmaninoff piano concerti and the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini with Stephen Hough for Hyperion Records.
In 2007, Jaap van Zweden was named the DSO's 15th music director, and began his tenure in the 2008–2009 season with an initial contract of four years. In October 2009, the orchestra announced the extension of van Zweden's contract through the 2015–2016 season. In November 2013, the orchestra announced a further extension of van Zweden's contract through 2019. In January 2016, the orchestra announced the rescheduled conclusion of van Zweden's tenure as music director after the 2017–2018 season, after which time he is scheeduled to serve as the orchestra's conductor laureate from 2018 through 2021.
In 2002, Fabio Luisi first guest-conducted the orchestra. His next Dallas guest-conducting appearance was in March 2018. On the basis of this guest-conducting engagement, in June 2018, the orchestra named Luisi its next music director, effective with the 2020-2021 season. He held the title of music director-designate in the 2019-2020 season. In January 2021, the orchestra announced the extension of Luisi's contract as music director through 2029.
The current president and chief executive officer of the orchestra is Kim Noltemy. In October 2018, the orchestra announced the appointment of Gemma New as its next principal guest conductor, the first female conductor to hold the title, effective with the 2019-2020 season.
Members of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra with articles in English Wikipedia include:
- Ryan Anthony, trumpet 2004–2020, principal 2006–2020
- Lev Aronson, cello 1948–1967, principal 1949–1967
- Madeleine Begun, oboe c. 1969–1970
- Emanuel Borok, violin, concertmaster 1985–2010
- Margaret Brouwer, violin
- Rafael Druian, violin, concertmaster 1947–1949
- Willard Somers Elliot, bassoon 1951–1964, principal 1956–1964
- Jules Eskin, cello 1948–1949
- Walter Fried, violin, concertmaster 1911–1914 (also Music Director)
- Richard Giangiulio, trumpet, principal 1969–2001
- Everett M. Gilmore, tuba, principal, 1965–1995
- Joseph Hawthorne, viola, principal 1945–1949 (also associate conductor)
- Frank Kaderabek, trumpet, principal 1953–1958
- Alexander Kerr, violin, concertmaster 2011–present
- David Kim, violin, senior associate concertmaster 1997–1999
- William Kraft, percussion 1954–1955
- Andreas Makris, violin, principal second 1958–1959
- Demarre McGill, flute, principal 2013–2016
- Mitchell Peters, percussion, principal c. 1959–1969
- Robert Xavier Rodriguez, Composer in Residence 1982–1983
- David Shifrin, clarinet, principal 1970s
- János Starker, cello, principal 1948–1949
- Carl Venth, violin, concertmaster 1927–1931 (also Music Director)
- Ernst Wallfisch, viola, assistant principal 1947–1949
- Harold Wright, clarinet, principal 1952–mid-1950s?
- Schweitzer, Vivien (1 February 2007). "Dallas Symphony Names Jaap van Zweden Music Director". Playbill. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- Simek, Peter (25 November 2013). "Jaap van Zweden Extends Tenure With Dallas Symphony by Three Years". D Magazine. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- Cantrell, Scott (24 November 2013). "Dallas Symphony, van Zweden extend contract through 2019". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "The Dallas Symphony Orchestra congratulates Jaap van Zweden on the announcement of his appointment as Music Director of the New York Philharmonic" (Press release). Dallas Symphony Orchestra. 27 January 2016. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- Cantrell, Scott (4 June 2018). "Dallas Symphony names Italian conductor Fabio Luisi its next music director". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- "Fabio Luisi Named Next Music Director of Dallas Symphony Orchestra" (Press release). Dallas Symphony Orchestra. 4 June 2018. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- "Dallas Symphony Orchestra Announces Contract Extension of Fabio Luisi as Music Director Through 2028/29 Season" (Press release). Dallas Symphony Orchestra. 2021-01-13. Retrieved 2021-01-14.
- "Gemma New Named Principal Guest Conductor of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra" (Press release). Dallas Symphony Orchestra. 17 October 2018. Retrieved 18 October 2018.
- Gay, Wayne Lee (26 August 2018). "On the Brilliance". Theater Jones Reviews. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
- Faculty Recital Program, January 22, 1979. School of Music, Theatre & Dance, University of Michigan, 1978–1979. Retrieved 22 January 2020.