Cyrus Cotton "Cy" Hungerford (June 27, 1888 – May 25, 1983) was an American editorial cartoonist who produced daily cartoons for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette from 1927 until his retirement in 1977. His many awards included a Golden Quill Award (1966), a Pennsylvania Award of Excellence (1970) and the honorary degree of Doctor of Arts from Washington and Jefferson College.
Cy Hungerford was born in Manilla, Indiana in 1889 but lived as a child in Parkersburg, West Virginia. As a boy, he practised drawing by copying cartoons from the newspapers, and his first published cartoon was in the Parkersburg Sentinel in 1903. He later worked for the Wheeling Register before becoming editorial cartoonist for the Pittsburgh Sun for fifteen years from 1912. He joined the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in 1927.
Although he worked principally as an editorial cartoonist, Cy Hungerford also produced Snoodles, a syndicated daily comic strip, for several years beginning in 1913. During World War II he produced defense posters.
Cy Hungerford died on May 25, 1983 in the Pittsburgh suburb of Wexford, Pennsylvania at the age of 93. His first wife, Alice Meade, whom he married in 1942, died in 1964, and he died four days after the death of his second wife Dorothy Goetz.
- Rudoff, Andrew E. (January 1981). "Historical Society Notes and Documents: Cy and Max Abroad". Western Pennsylvania History Magazine. 64 (1): 84.
- "Cy Hungerford biography at The Pennsylvania Department". Info-ren.org. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "Cy Pens Best Cartoons At Tick of Deadline (1950)". Strippersguide.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "Cy Hungerford's Papa Pitt". Info-ren.org. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "Who Is Papa Pitt?". Info-ren.org. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- AP (1983-05-27). "Cyrus C. (Cy) Hungerford obituary, New York Times, May 27, 1983". New York Times. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- john adcock (2008-04-25). "'Snoodles gallery at Yesterday's Papers". John-adcock.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "Cy Hungerford biography at". Lambiek.net. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Cyrus C. (Cy) Hungerford obituary New York Times, May 27, 1983
- Cy Hungerford biography at The Pennsylvania Department (originally at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh)
- Cy Hungerford biography at Lambiek.net
- Cy Pens Best Cartoons At Tick of Deadline, (1950), republished at Stripper's Guide, 2007
- Snoodles by Cy Hungerford: Gallery of Hungerford's daily comic strip at John Adcock's Yesterday's Papers, continues at Snoodles II and Snoodles III
- "Who Is Papa Pitt?"
- Cy Hungerford's 'Pa Pitt' at The Pennsylvania Department (originally at Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh)