This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Affiliations||Independent Schools Council ISC|
The Council of British International Schools (COBIS) serves British International Schools around the globe, representing over 245 Member Schools in 79 countries and over 150 Supporting Associate organisations.
COBIS exists to serve, support and represent its member schools – their leaders, governors, staff and students by:
- Representing member schools with the British Government, educational bodies, and the corporate sector
- Providing effective professional development for senior leaders, governors, teachers and support staff
- Facilitating, coordinating and supporting professional networking opportunities for British International schools
- Providing access to information about trends and developments in UK education
- Promoting career opportunities within the global COBIS network
- Brokering a cost-effective consultancy service between schools and approved educational support service providers 
COBIS hosts a range of conferences and professional development events for teachers, middle leaders, support staff throughout the year, plus an annual conference in London in May for school leaders and Governors. In addition to accessing high quality training COBIS events provide excellent opportunities for colleagues to develop professional networks and contacts. COBIS represents its members with the British Government, educational bodies, the corporate sector and Ministries of Education worldwide and is committed to advancing the interests of British schools and British education overseas.
The Patron's Accreditation and Compliance
In October 2016, COBIS announced a new external validation scheme for British schools overseas to be known as The Patron's Accreditation and Compliance. The new scheme will officially be available to schools from April 2017 and will be offered as an alternative to inspections carried out by the Department for Education for British Schools Overseas.
Founded over 30 years ago, COBIS is governed by an elected executive committee consisting of headteachers and governors from member schools worldwide. The association is a constituent member of the Independent Schools Council and operates on a not-for-profit basis to reflect being a UK-registered company 'Limited by Guarantee'.
The chairman is Mr Trevor Rowell.
- "About Us - Council of British International Schools". www.cobis.org.uk. Retrieved 25 November 2020.
- "Education Sector Advisory Group minutes 1 September 2020". www.gov.uk/. Retrieved 25 November 2020.
- "Membership Benefits - Council of British International Schools". www.cobis.org.uk. Retrieved 25 November 2020.
- "Accreditation - Council of British International Schools". www.cobis.org.uk. Retrieved 25 November 2020.
- Smith, Lisa. "Finding a good school for expat children". iExpats. Retrieved 25 November 2020.
|This article about an education organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|