|Coolie No. 1|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||David Dhawan|
|Produced by||Vashu Bhagnani|
|Written by||Rumi Jaffery|
|Story by||Amma creations|
P. Kalaimani (uncredited)
|Based on||Chinna Mapillai by |
P. Kalaimani and
|Edited by||A. Muthu|
|Distributed by||Tips Industries Limited|
Tips Music Films
S K Enterprise Ltd
|Budget||₹3.6 crore (US$500,000)|
|Box office||₹21.0 crore (US$2.9 million)|
Coolie No. 1 is a 1995 Indian Hindi-language comedy drama film, directed by David Dhawan, and written by Rumi Jaffery and Kader Khan. The film stars Govinda Ahuja, Karisma Kapoor, Shakti Kapoor, Kader Khan , Harish Kumar and Sadashiv Amrapurkar, with music by Anand-Milind. This movie was one of the first successful movies of Karisma Kapoor. Actor Govinda received the Star Screen Award Special Jury Award for his role in this movie as 'performer of the decade'. Over the years, the movie has become a classic in Hindi film history and is now considered a cult film. The film is a remake of the 1993 Tamil film Chinna Mapillai. In 2020 Director David Dhanwan Has Remake His Own Directed This Film Coolie No.1 With A His Son Varun Dhawan, Sara Ali Khan and Paresh Rawal
Shaadiram Gharjode, a matchmaker, is once humiliated by Hoshiyar Chand when Shaadiram goes to inform him about a family wanting to marry their son to Hoshiyar's daughter. Hoshiyar Chand insults them as he wants both his daughters to marry into the richest family. Gharjode decides to teach Hoshiyar Chand a lesson: He meets a coolie called Raju and they go to Hoshiyar Chand's village pretending to be a rich family. Hoshiyar is impressed and he wants his daughter Malti to marry Raju, leading to humorous situations.
- Govinda Ahuja as Raju Coolie / Kunwar Mahendra Pratap Singh
- Karisma Kapoor as Malti Choudhary
- Harish Kumar as Deepak Verma
- Kanchan as Shalini Choudhary
- Kader Khan as Hoshiyar Chand Choudhary
- Shakti Kapoor as Goverdhan Mama
- Sadashiv Amrapurkar as Pandit Shadiram Gharjode
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda as Gajendra Pratap Singh
- Javed Khan Amrohi as Taxi Driver
- Dinesh Hingoo as Game Show Host (Special Appearance)
- Mahesh Anand as Mahesh Pratap Singh, Son of Gajendra
- Vikas Anand as shadiram's client
- Tiku Talsania as Police Inspector Pandey
- Shammi as mother of Hoshiyar Chand
- Babbanlal Yadav as street magician
- Mahavir Shah as Gajendra's Manager
The music of Coolie No. 1 was popular when it released. Although producer of Tips films Vashu Bhagnani and director David Dhawan were extremely confident that "Husn Hain Suhana", rendered by Abhijeet and Chandana Dixit would be the selling factor of the album, it was the song "Main To Raste Se Ja Raha Tha" that did the trick. The music of Coolie No. 1 strengthened Anand-Milind and Govinda/David Dhawan's track record of coming up with super hit music with each outing.
|1||"Aa Jaana Aa Jaana"||Kumar Sanu, Alka Yagnik||06:22|
|2||"Jeth Ki Dopahri Mein"||Kumar Sanu, Poornima||05:00|
|3||"Coolie No. 1"||Kumar Sanu||05:24|
|4||"Husn Hai Suhana"||Abhijeet, Chandana Dixit||06:00|
|5||"Tere Pyar Mein Dil Deewana"||Udit Narayan, Alka Yagnik||05:00|
|6||"Kya Majnu Kya Ranjha"||Kumar Sanu, Sadhna Sargam||06:31|
|7||"Main To Raste Se Jaa Raha Tha"||Kumar Sanu, Alka Yagnik||05:18|
On 8 March 2019, it was announced that the film will be remade, with David Dhawan as director again and with his son Varun Dhawan and Sara Ali Khan essaying the roles of Raju and Malti originally played by Govinda Ahuja and Karisma Kapoor. The first look poster of the remade Coolie No.1 was released on 1 May 2019. The film released on 25 December 2020 through Amazon Prime Video .
- "Coolie No 1 Box Office". Box Office India. 29 August 2015. Archived from the original on 29 August 2015.
- "All Time Rank". 20 September 2015. Archived from the original on 20 September 2015.
- "I'm very lucky for Govinda: David Dhawan". The Hindu. India. 18 July 2009. Archived from the original on 7 November 2012. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "David Dhawan has acting dreams, and Govinda's in them!". Sify.com. 19 September 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Govinda, the actor or the politician? – Bollywood Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "David-Govinda duo returns with Do Knot Disturb". Screenindia.com. 29 June 2008. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Govinda teams up with David". The Times of India. 2 October 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Journey to Destination Cool". The Hindu. India. 2 May 2003. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Govinda Wapas Aala Re". Bollywoodhungama.com. 31 October 2006. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "The blue-eyed baby". The Indian Express. India. 6 February 1998. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "8th Annual Asian Paints STAR SCREEN Weekly Awards". Screenindia.com. Archived from the original on 16 February 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Bollywood Star Govinda – Film Actor Govinda – Govinda Biography – Chichi Govinda Profile". Iloveindia.com. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- Gulazāra; Govind Nihalani; Saibal Chatterjee (2003). Encyclopaedia of Hindi Cinema. Popular Prakashan. p. 572. ISBN 978-81-7991-066-5.
- "Remake of Coolie No. 1 a new film: David Dhawan". Outlook. 3 July 2019. Retrieved 29 November 2020.
- "Making Music Like Ne'er Before". Outlook. 13 March 1996.
- "Music Hits 1990–1999 (Figures in Units)". Box Office India. 2 January 2010. Archived from the original on 5 February 2010.
- "Varun Dhawan and Sara Ali Khan's Coolie No 1 to hit screens on May 1, 2020". The Indian Express. 1 May 2019. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "Varun Dhawan and Sara Ali Khan's Coolie No 1 to hit screens on May 1, 2020". DNA. 1 May 2019. Retrieved 2 May 2019.