|• Total||1,251.21 km2 (483.09 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-WB|
Purba Medinipur district is divided into the following administrative subdivisions:
|Purba Medinipur district||Tamluk||4,713.00||5,095,875||91.71||8.29|
|Cities and towns in Contai subdivision of Purba Medinipur district|
M: municipal city/ town, CT: census town, R: rural/ urban centre, S: port, sea-beach
Owing to space constraints in the small map, the actual locations in a larger map may vary slightly
Contai subdivision has 10 police stations, 8 community development blocks, 8 panchayat samitis, 61 gram panchayats, 1155 mouzas, 1129 inhabited villages, 1 municipality and 2 census towns. The municipality is: Contai. The census towns are: Khadalgobra and Basantia. The subdivision has its headquarters at Contai.
Contai subdivision has an area of 1,251.21 km2, population in 2011 of 1,385,307 and density of population of 1,107 per km2. 27.18% 0f the population of the district resides in this subdivision.
Police stations in Contai subdivision have the following features and jurisdiction:
|Police Station||Area covered
|Inter-state border||Municipal Town||CD Block|
|Khejuri||268.47||-||-||Khejuri I, Khejuri II|
|Contai||370.80||-||Contai||Contai I, Deshpran|
|Contai Women||Contai subdivision||-||-||-|
|Ramnagar ||286.02||Border with Balasore district in Odisha||-||Ramnagar I (part), Ramnagar II|
|Digha||3,153||-||-||Ramnagar I (part)|
|Digha Mohana Coastal ||-||-||-||-|
|Patulighat (Junput) Coastal|
- The data is as per the website of Purba Medinipur Police, but it appears that it has not been updated/ corrected for a long time
|SC %||ST %||Literacy
|Ramnagar II||Bara Bankuya||163.27||156,054||13.96||0.19||89.38||-|
- Contai I block: Badalpur, Mahisagot, Raipur–Paschimbarh, Dulalpur, Majilapur, Sabajput, Haipur and Nayaput.
- Deshapran block: Amtalia, Bamunia, Chalti, Dhobaberia, Aurai, Basantia, Dariyapur and Sarda.
- Contai III block: Bhajachauli, Durmuth, Kumirda, Lauda, Debendra, Kanaidighi, Kusumpur and Marishda.
- Bhagabanpur II block: Arjunnagar, Garbari–I, Jukhia, Baroj, Garbari–II, Mugberia, Basudevberia, Itaberia and Radhapur.
i I]] block: Beerbandar, Kalagechia, Lakshmi, Henria, Kamarda and Tikashi.
- Khejuri II block: Bartala, Janka, Niz Kasba, Haludbari and Khejuri.
- Ramnagar I block: Badhia, Haldia–I, Padima–II, Basantapur, Haldia–II, Talgachhari–I, Gobra, Padima–I and Talgachhari–II.
- Ramnagar II block: Badalpur, Depal, Kalindi, Paldui, Balisai, Kadua, Maithana and Satilapur.
With a literacy rate of 87.66% Purba Medinipur district ranked first amongst all districts of West Bengal in literacy as per the provisional figures of the census of India 2011. Within Purba Medinipur district, Tamluk subdivision had a literacy rate of 85.98%, Haldia subdivision 86.67%, Egra subdivision 86.18% and Contai subdivision 89.19%. All CD Blocks and municipalities in the district had literacy levels above 80%.
Given in the table below (data in numbers) is a comprehensive picture of the education scenario in Purba Medinipur district for the year 2013-14. It may be noted that primary schools include junior basic schools; middle schools, high schools and higher secondary schools include madrasahs; technical schools include junior technical schools, junior government polytechnics, industrial technical institutes, industrial training centres, nursing training institutes etc.; technical and professional colleges include engineering colleges, polytechnics, medical colleges, para-medical institutes, management colleges, teachers training and nursing training colleges, law colleges, art colleges, music colleges etc. Special and non-formal education centres include sishu siksha kendras, madhyamik siksha kendras, centres of Rabindra mukta vidyalaya, recognised Sanskrit tols, institutions for the blind and other handicapped persons, Anganwadi centres, reformatory schools etc.
|Purba Medinipur district||3,253||219,794||293||32,965||261||159,032||397||466,093||19||44,241||45||10,759||7,974||375,042|
The following institutions are located in Contai subdivision:
- Mugberia Gangadhar Mahavidyalaya at Mugberia, near Bhupatinagar in Bhagabanpur II CD Block was established in 1964. In addition to the courses in arts, science and commerce, it offers degree and post-graduate courses in physical education. 
- Ramnagar College at Depal in Ramnagar II CD Block was established in 1972. In addition to courses in arts, science and commerce, it offers courses in hospitality and tourism, and fishery and farm management.
- Ramnagar B.Ed College at Depal in Ramnagar II CD Block offers B.Ed. course.
- Khejuri College at Baratala in Khejuri II CD Block was established in 1999. In addition to courses in arts, it offers a course in Aquaculture Management and Technology. 
- Prabhat Kumar College (also known as Kanthi College) at Contai was established in 1926. Apart from courses in arts, science and commerce, it offers B.Ed. and M.Sc. course in Physics.
- Contai Polytechnic at Raghurampur PO Darua.
- Raghunath Ayurved Mahavidyalaya and Hospital, Contai.
- Deshapran Mahavidyalaya at Durmut in Deshapran CD Block was established in 2010 and offers courses in arts.
The table below (all data in numbers) presents an overview of the medical facilities available and patients treated in the hospitals, health centres and sub-centres in 2014 in Purba Medinipur district.
|Subdivision||Health & Family Welfare Deptt, WB||Other
|Purba Medinipur district||5||3||22||51||-||-||-||132||213||3,486||293||172,251||3,319,411|
Medical facilities available in Contai subdivision are as follows:
Hospitals: (Name, location, beds) 
Contai Subdivision Hospital, Contai, 141 beds
Digha State General Hospital, Digha, 50 beds
Rural Hospitals: (Name, CD block, location, beds)
Basantia Rural Hospital, Deshapran CD block, Basantia, 30 beds
Bhupatinagar Mugberia Rural Hospital, Bhagabanpur II CD block, Bhupatinagar, 30 beds
Silaberia Rural Hospital, Khejuri II CD block, Silaberia, 30 beds
Bararankura Rural Hospital, Ramnagar II CD block, PO Balisai, 30 beds
Block Primary Health Centre: (Name, block, location, beds)
Majna BPHC, Contai I CD block, Majna, 15 beds
Kharipukuria BPHC, Contai III CD block, Kharipukuria, PO Nachinda Bazar, 10 beds
Kamarda BPHC, Khejuri I CD block, Kamarda Bazar, 15 beds
Digha Aghore Kamini BPHC, Ramnagar I CD block, Digha, 15 beds
Primary Health Centres: (CD block-wise)(CD block, PHC location, beds)
Contai I CD block: Kulberia (6), Nayaput (10)
Deshapran CD block: Barabantalia (15), Daulatpur, PO Dariapur (10)
Contai III CD block: Banamalichatta (10), Bhaitgarh (?), Deulbarh (2)
Bhagabanpur II CD block: Barberia (10), Simulia (6)
Khejuri I CD block: Heria (10)
Khejuri II CD block: Janka (10)
Ramnagar I CD block: Chandanpur (10), Gobra (6), Sadihat (6), Pichhaboni, PO Chowlkhola (10)
Ramnagar II CD block: Nijmaithula, PO Batatala (10), Hamirpur, PO Depal (2)
|Lok Sabha constituency||Vidhan Sabha constituency||Reservation||CD Block and/or Gram panchayats|
|Ghatal||Panskura Paschim||None||Panskura CD Block|
|Other assembly segments in Paschim Medinipur district|
|Tamluk||Tamluk||None||Tamluk municipality, Bishnubarh II, Pipulberia I, Pipulberia II and Uttar Sonamui gram panchayats of Tamluk CD Block, and Sahid Matangini CD Block|
|Panskura Purba||None||Kolaghat CD Block|
|Moyna||None||Moyna CD Block, Anantapur I, Anantapur II, Nilkunthia, Sreerampur I and Sreerampur II GPs of Tamluk CD Block|
|Nandakumar||None||Nandakumar CD Block and Bishnubarh I, Padumpur I and Padumpur II GPs of Tamluk CD Block|
|Mahisadal||None||Mahisadal and Haldia CD Blocks|
|Haldia||SC||Haldia municipality and Sutahata CD Block|
|Nandigram||None||Nandigram I and Nandigram II CD Blocks|
|Kanthi||Chandipur||None||Chandipur CD Block and Benodia, Bivisanpur, Gurgram, Kakra, Mahammadpur I and Mahammadpur II GPs of Bhagabanpur I CD Block|
|Patashpur||None||Patashpur I CD Block; Khargram, Panchet, Pataspur, South Khanda and Sreerampur gram panchayats of Patashpur II CD Block|
|Kanthi Uttar||None||Deshapran CD Block, Brajachauli, Debendra, Kanaidighi, Kumirda, Lauda and Marishda GPs of Contai III CD Block and Bathuari GP of Egra II CD Block|
|Bhagabanpur||None||Bhagabanpur, Kajlagarh, Kotbarh and Shimulia GPs of Bhagabanpur I CD Block, Arjunnagar, Basudevberia, Baroj, Itaberia, Jukhia, Mugberia and Radhapur GPs of Bhagabanpur II CD Block, and Argoyal and Mathura GPs of Patashpur II CD Block|
|Khejuri||SC||Khejuri I and Khejuri II CD Blocks, and Garbari I and Garbari II GPs of Bhagabanpur II CD Block|
|Kanthi Dakshin||None||Contai municipality, Contai I CD Block, and Durmuth and Kusumpur GPs of Contai III CD Block|
|Ramnagar||None||Ramnagar I and Ramnagar II CD Blocks|
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 2.2, 2.4(a). Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 2.1. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Directory of District, Sub division, Panchayat Samiti/ Block and Gram Panchayats in West Bengal, March 2008". West Bengal. National Informatics Centre, India. 19 March 2008. Archived from the original on 25 February 2009. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 2.2. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Khejuri PS". Purba Medinipur District Police. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Bhupatinagar PS". Purba Medinipur District Police. Archived from the original on 12 November 2016. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Contai PS". Purba Medinipur District Police. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Contai Women PS". Purba Medinipur District Police. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Existing Women Police Stations along with their jurisdiction and Date of Inauguration". West Bengal Police. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Marishda PS". Purba Medinipur District Police. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Ramnagar PS". Purba Medinipur District Police. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Digha PS". Purba Medinipur District Police. Archived from the original on 16 November 2016. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Digha Mohana Coastal PS". Purba Medinipur District Police. Archived from the original on 12 November 2016. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". 2011 census: West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Directory of District, Subdivision, Panchayat Samiti/ Block and Gram Panchayats in West Bengal". Paschim Medinipur - Revised in March 2008. Panchayats and Rural Development Department, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Provisional Population Totals Paper 1 of 2011 : West Bengal". Statement-4 Ranking of Districts by Literacy Rate in 2001 and 2011. Office of the Registrar General and & Census Commissioner, India, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Basic data: Table 4.4, 4.5, Clarifications: other related tables. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Mugberia Gangadhar Mahavidyalaya". Mugberia Gangadhar Mahavidyalaya. Archived from the original on 10 October 2016. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Mugberia Gangadhar Mahavidyalaya". College Admission. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Ramnagar College". Ramnagar College. Archived from the original on 14 November 2016. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Ramnagar College". College Admission. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Ramnagar B.Ed. College". Ramnagore B.Ed. College. Archived from the original on 20 April 2017. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Khejuri College". Khejuri College. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Khejuri College". College Admission. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Prabhat Kujmar College, Contai". Prabhat Kumar College. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Prabhat Kumar College". College Admission. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Contai Polytechnic". Govt of West Bengal. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Raghunath Ayurved Mahavidyalaya". RAM. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Deshapran Mahavidyalaya". Deshapran Mahavidyalaya. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Dshapran Mahavidyalaya". College Admission. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Table 3.1, 3.3. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Health & Family Welfare Department". Health Statistics. Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 25 March 2019.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18 dated 15 February 2006" (PDF). West Bengal. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 25 October 2016.