The Constitutional Court of Azerbaijan Republic (Azerbaijani: Azərbaycan Respublikasının Konstitusiya Məhkəməsi) is an independent state body of the Republic of Azerbaijan which jurisdiction is prescribed by the Constitution of Azerbaijan. The Constitutional Court gives interpretation of the Constitution and laws based on petitions of the President of Republic, Milli Majlis, Cabinet of Ministers, Supreme Court, Prosecutor’s Office and Ali Majlis of Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic.
The Constitution of Azerbaijan (adopted on November 12, 1995), interstate agreements (Azerbaijan is a party to), Law “On Constitutional Court” (adopted on December 23, 2003), other laws and the Rules of Procedure of the Constitutional Court are the legal basis for the activity of the Constitutional Court.
The President of Azerbaijan, Milli Majlis, Cabinet of Ministers, Supreme Court of Azerbaijan, Prosecutor’s Office of Azerbaijan, Ali Majlis of Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic, Courts, Individuals and Ombudsman may apply to Constitutional Court according to Constitution of Azerbaijan.
The Constitutional Court can examine individual complaints by any person who alleges that his/her rights and freedoms have been violated by the normative legal act of the legislative and executive, the acts adopted by municipality or a court.
The Constitutional Court was established on 14 July 1998. It is composed of 9 judges, appointed by the Milli Majlis upon recommendation of the President of the Republic. The judges are appointed for a period of 15 years, without possibility to be re-appointed to the same post.
The Chairman of the Constitutional Court is Mr. Farhad Abdullayev and the Deputy Chairman is Mrs. Sona Salmanova.
The principles of the activity of the Constitutional Court are the following ones:
The State flag, State coat of arms of the Republic of Azerbaijan and the official emblem of Constitutional Court are the symbols of Constitutional Court.
- "About CC". The Constitutional Court of Azerbaijan Republic. Archived from the original on 6 March 2018. Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- "Composition". The Constitutional Court of Azerbaijan Republic. Archived from the original on 9 May 2017. Retrieved 9 May 2017.
- "CONSTITUTINAL COURT OF THE REPUBLIC OF AZERBAIJAN". www.supremecourt.gov.az. Retrieved 2019-03-31.
- "Constitutional Court" (PDF).
- "Delegation of Venice Commission to arrive in Azerbaijan". Report News Agency. Retrieved 2019-03-31.
- "20th anniversary of establishment of Azerbaijan's Constitutional Court marked". AZƏRBAYCAN24. 2018-07-13. Retrieved 2019-03-31.
- Trend.Az (2007-05-10). "Constitutional Court in Azerbaijan Important for Formation of Jural State". Trend.Az. Retrieved 2019-03-31.