This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The current Political Constitution of the Republic of Chile, approved by Chilean voters in a controversial plebiscite on September 11, 1980, under the military dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet, partially effective March 11, 1981, fully effective 11 March 1990 and amended considerably on August 17, 1989 (via referendum) and on September 22, 2005 (legislatively), and also in 1991, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, replaced the earlier constitution of 1925. It is Chile's eighth constitution.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2015)
According to law professor, Camel Cazor Aliste, the Constitution of 1980 has problems of legitimacy stemming from two facts. First, the writing commission was not representative of the political spectrum of Chile—its members were hand-picked by the dictatorship of Pinochet and opponents of the regime were deliberately excluded. Second, the constitution's approval was achieved through a controversial and tightly government-controlled referendum in 1980.
Timeline of Constitutions
- Reglamento para el arreglo de la Autoridad Ejecutiva Provisoria de Chile 1811
- Reglamento Constitucional 1812
- Reglamento para el gobierno Provisorio 1814
- Constitución de 1818
- Constitución de 1822
- Constitución de 1823
- Ensayo Federal de 1826
- Constitución de 1828
- Constitución de 1833 - Written among others by Mariano Egaña and Manuel José Gandarillas
- Constitución de 1925 - Written among others by Arturo Alessandri Palma and José Maza
- Constitución de 1980 - Written among others by Jaime Guzmán
- Has been amended in 1989, 1991, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.
- Brief review of Chile's constitutional history - Chile's Library of Congress (in Spanish) at Archive.today (archived 2013-01-01)
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
|Spanish Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- 2005 recasting of the 1980 Constitution (PDF version) (Spanish original) at the Wayback Machine (archived 2006-12-07)
- Official translation of the original 1980 Constitution (PDF file)
- Text of Chilean constitutions - Library of Congress of Chile (Spanish original) at Archive.today (archived 2005-12-10)
- Untying the knot (The Economist, Oct 21st 2004)