A right-handed batsman, he played just once for the Ireland cricket team, against the MCC in August 1930. He played one first-class match, playing for Dublin University against Northamptonshire in 1926. In the match, he opened the batting with Irish playwright Samuel Beckett.
Later in life, he served as Governor of the Windward Islands.
- Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE), 1946
- Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO), 1953
- Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG), 1955
- Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George (KCMG), 1957
- Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire (GBE), 1963
Edward Betham Beetham
| Governor of the Windward Islands
1955–1 January 1960
Sir Robert Scott
| Governor of Mauritius
Sir John Shaw Rennie