|Original company||Wimbledon and Sutton Railway|
|London transport portal|
Collingwood Road was an authorised railway station planned by the Wimbledon and Sutton Railway (W&SR) and Underground Electric Railways Company of London (UERL) but never built. It was to be located on Collingwood Road in Sutton in south-west London.
The station was to have been built on the W&SR's planned surface railway line in Surrey (now south-west London) from Wimbledon to Sutton. The station was to be near the junction of Collingwood Road and Sydney Road. The construction of the railway was approved in 1910. In 1911 the UERL agreed to provide funding for the line's construction and to operate its train services by extending the UERL's District Railway (DR) from Wimbledon station.
Delays in the purchase of land along the railway's route and the outbreak of war prevented the works from commencing and the permission was extended several times with a final extension granted in 1922. Following the war, the UERL presented new proposals to construct an extension of the City and South London Railway (C&SLR, now part of the Northern line) from Clapham Common to Morden in tunnel where it would come to the surface and join the W&SR route. Both DR and C&SLR trains would run to Sutton. The revised proposals omitted Collingwood Road station from the W&SR route. The plan to extend the C&SLR was opposed by the Southern Railway (SR), the operator of the mainline services through Wimbledon and Sutton. A settlement between the companies agreed that the extension of the C&SLR would end at Morden and the W&SR would be taken over and its route would be constructed by the SR.
- Jackson 1966, p. 676.
- Jackson 1966, p. 677.
- "No. 28402". The London Gazette. 29 July 1910. p. 5498.
- "No. 32750". The London Gazette. 26 September 1922. p. 6846.
- "No. 32769". The London Gazette. 21 November 1922. pp. 8233–8234.
- "No. 32769". The London Gazette. 21 November 1922. pp. 8230–8233.
- "No. 32770". The London Gazette. 24 November 1922. pp. 8314–8315.
- Jackson 1966, p. 678.
- Wilson 2008, p. 12.
- Jackson, Alan A. (December 1966). "The Wimbledon & Sutton Railway – A late arrival on the South London suburban scene" (PDF). The Railway Magazine: 675–680. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- Wilson, Geoffrey (September 2008). "The Wimbledon & Sutton Railway" (PDF). Merton Historical Society: Bulletin 167: 10–13. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|