Cowgill with the Los Angeles Angels in 2015
|Born: April 28, 1986|
|July 26, 2011, for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Runs batted in||57|
Collin Brannen Cowgill (born May 22, 1986) is an American professional baseball outfielder who is a free agent. He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Arizona Diamondbacks, Oakland Athletics, New York Mets, Los Angeles Angels, and the Cleveland Indians. Prior to his professional career, Cowgill played college baseball for the University of Kentucky.
Cowgill attended the University of Kentucky, where he played college baseball for the Kentucky Wildcats baseball team. In his final season at Kentucky, he was named a third-team All-American by Rivals. In 2006, he played collegiate summer baseball in the Cape Cod Baseball League for the Brewster Whitecaps, and returned to the league in 2007 to play for the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox.
New York Mets
On December 18, 2012, the Athletics traded Cowgill to the New York Mets for Jefry Marté. Cowgill hit the first grand slam for the Mets on Opening Day in 18 years when he hit one in the 7th inning against the San Diego Padres.
Cowgill was named the starting center fielder for the Mets for 2013 after an impressive spring training. After a poor start to the season, Cowgill was set to platoon in center field with Jordany Valdespin. Cowgill was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas on May 3 when the Mets recalled Andrew Brown. On June 18, 2013, Cowgill was designated for assignment by the Mets.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
On June 24, 2013, the Mets traded Cowgill to the Angels in exchange for minor league outfielder Kyle Johnson. On June 10, 2014, Collin Cowgill hit his first walk-off home run in the bottom of the 14th inning to beat the Oakland A's 2-1.
Cowgill was traded from the Angels to the Cleveland Indians for cash considerations on December 2, 2015. He played in nine games for the Indians, including opening day, before being optioned to the minor league Columbus Clippers. The Indians designated Cowgill for assignment on September 1, 2016 and outrighted him to Columbus on September 2.
Cowgill elected free agency on October 5, 2016.
San Diego Padres
Cowgill signed a minor league contract with the San Diego Padres in 2017, that included an invitation to spring training. He was released on August 12, 2017.
On February 8, 2018, Cowgill signed a minor league deal with the Philadelphia Phillies. He elected free agency on November 2, 2018.
- "MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS FROM THE CAPE COD LEAGUE" (PDF). capecodbaseball.org. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- "D-backs draft pitcher with pedigree". MLB. June 5, 2008. Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- "D-backs look for a boost with Putz return, Cowgill callup". USA Today. July 26, 2011. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- Fenechlast, Anthony (August 28, 2011). "Hill, Cowgill backs Kennedy's NL-best 17th win". MLB. Retrieved October 28, 2011.
- Gilbert, Steve (9 December 2011). "D-backs pick up Cahill, Breslow from A's". MLB.com. Retrieved 10 December 2011.
- Matt Eddy (November 7, 2019). "Minor League Free Agents 2019". Baseball America. Retrieved November 7, 2019.