|Founder||MG Alan Salisbury (Ret.)|
|Focus||Casework, peer networking, outreach|
|Hon. Robert Speer, Chairman Kristina Kaufmann, Executive Director|
The Code of Support Foundation (COSF) is a U.S. nonprofit organization that provides assistance to military service members, veterans and their families, many of whom face multiple and complex challenges. Based in Alexandria, Virginia, the group offers three types of programs: casework, online networking among other military service organizations, and outreach efforts.
The COSF was founded in 2011 by Alan Salisbury, a retired Army major general, with the goal of bridging a gap of understanding and engagement between military and civilian communities. Working with retired military and civilian leaders, Salisbury developed the group's “Code of Support,” a set of six commitments all Americans can make to give meaning to the words, “support our troops.” The group works closely with other military service organizations to coordinate complementary support services.
According to the group's executive director, Kristina Kaufmann, issues such as suicide prevention and mental health are particularly important to military support groups such as COSF. Kaufmann encourages raising awareness among local communities, including schools, to ensure better support for military families. To address these and other challenges, the foundation offers three primary services designed to meet its vision of bridging the gap between military and civilian communities.
- Case Coordination Program: COSF caseworkers provide comprehensive and long-term assistance to struggling service members, veterans and their families as they transition into civilian life. The foundation's caseworkers are trained to help address particularly complex problem sets facing families.
- PATRIOTlink: Designed to expedite, customize and streamline how other military service organizations provide support and services to their members, PATRIOTlink is a cloud-based management tool which empowers other non-profits' ability to leverage local and national resources to ensure coordination and efficiency.
- Education and Engagement Program: COSF works to increase public awareness and appreciation of the sacrifices and challenges facing military families. The foundation encourages the general public to join in providing support, offering a list of “99 Ways to Get Involved.”
Oversight and awards
The foundation is governed by a fiduciary board of trustees. Additionally, the group relies on a board of advisors who, along with trustees, support the foundation's goals and objectives. The COSF has been recognized by several businesses and the news media for its innovative programs. In May 2016, the group's leaders were selected by EY as mid-Atlantic finalists for the EY Entrepreneur Of The Year Award.
The Code of Support Foundation states that it is committed to financial transparency, and requires its partner organizations to follow the same policy. COSF has a Gold Level status with GuideStar, and is designated by the IRS as an approved 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.
- COSF awarded grant to assist military caregivers, retrieved June 25, 2017
- COSF awarded grant from Bristol-Meyers Squibb Foundation, retrieved June 25, 2017
- Military Spouses Stay Mum on the Subject of Infidelity, by Michelle Boorstein, The Washington Post, November 19, 2012, retrieved July 2, 2017
- Suicide Prevention Efforts Must Integrate Military Families, op-ed by Kristina Kaufman, The New York Times, November 20, 2011, retrieved July 2, 2017
- National Public Radio, Weekend Edition with Scott Simon, November 28, 2009, retrieved July 3, 2017
- C-SPAN, November 4, 2014, retrieved July 3, 2017
- COSF website, retrieved July 3, 2017
- COSF list of board members, retrieved June 25, 2017
- TCI joins COSF to pay tribute to service members, veterans, and families, TRI-COR Industries website, retrieved July 30, 2017
- Mortgage Keepers announces partnership with COSF, retrieved June 25, 2017
- CNN podcast, January 13, 2016, retrieved June 25, 2017
- EY entrepreneur of the year award, retrieved June 25, 2017
- GuideStar report on COSF, retrieved June 25, 2017
- Code of Support Foundation Financials, retrieved June 25, 2017