This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cockburn ARC is an aquatic and recreation centre located in the southern Perth suburb of Cockburn Central. The facility also contains the administrative and training headquarters of professional Australian Football League club the Fremantle Football Club.
The ARC is owned and operated by the City of Cockburn which provides community access to most of the facilities. There are indoor and outdoor aquatic facilities as well as basketball courts. Swim, fitness and sports classes are available. There are three water slides, starting at 18 m (59 ft) high, which opened in May 2017.
Fremantle Football Club
Fremantle Football Club (nicknamed the Dockers) were previously based at Fremantle Oval, home ground of the South Fremantle Football Club. In February 2015 the club confirmed it would move to the planned new facility as it would offer far better and more spacious facilities than the Fremantle Oval. Construction of the $109 million facility began later that year. The major features of the facility include:
- Two training ovals, including one big enough to replicate every AFL ground and a GPS program that shows instantly where goal posts and markings can be moved to replicate other stadium dimensions
- Indoor training centre with half a football oval marked across six basketball courts (also available for community use)
- Aquatic recovery, hydrotherapy and pools area, an altitude chamber with sleeping area for players and an indoor running track
- Club function centre and a retail outlet
- Dedicated football department housing offices for the club's AFL/AFLW coaches and staff
The Dockers moved into the 6,000 m2 (65,000 sq ft) facility in February 2017.
- Community Facility of the Year Award — 2018 Parks and Leisure Australia Awards
- "New waterpark to open in Perth's south". The West Australian. 18 May 2017.
- "Cockburn too good to pass up, says Freo CEO". Fremantle FC. 18 February 2015.
- "New frontier for Fremantle". Fremantle FC. 21 July 2015.
- "New Cockburn base has 'best of everything'". The West Australian. Fremantle FC. 19 February 2016.
- "New Cockburn home for Fremantle Dockers bolsters spirits for 2017". The Age. 22 February 2017.
- "Cockburn ARC named PLA 2018 Community Facility of the Year". Australasian Leisure Management. 18 October 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cockburn ARC.|