This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Country of origin||UK|
|Headquarters location||Canterbury, Kent|
Cinebook Ltd is a British publishing company that publishes comic albums and graphic novels. It describes itself as "the 9th art publisher," the 9th art being comics in continental Europe, especially France, Belgium and Italy.
They typically translate Franco-Belgian comics – predominantly originating from the Franco-Belgian comic publishers Dargaud, Dupuis and Le Lombard – into English and have also issued an original series about the French Queen Marguerite de Valois, also known as Queen Margot. Cinebook works with a team of translators, including native speakers of French, British English and American English.
Softcover album series
So far, the company has published, or plans to publish, the following comic series in softcover editions:
- Valerian: The Complete Collection
During 2017 and 2018 the British publisher Cinebook Limited published a hardcover collection of the series titled; Valerian: The Complete Collection, spread over seven volumes, with three to four stories in each book. These volumes are in full original color, printed on glossy paper and measure 220 mm × 290 mm.
|Vol.||Title||Included stories||Release date||ISBN|
|1||Valerian: The Complete Collection Volume 1||0–2: (Bad dreams, The City of Shifting Waters, Empire of a Thousand Planets)||May 2017||978-1-84918-352-9|
|2||Valerian: The Complete Collection Volume 2||3–5: (The Land Without Stars, Welcome to Alflolol, Birds of the Master)||July 2017||978-1-84918-356-7|
|3||Valerian: The Complete Collection Volume 3||6–8: (Ambassador of the Shadows, On False Earths, Heroes of the Equinox)||July 2017||978-1-84918-357-4|
|4||Valerian: The Complete Collection Volume 4||9–12: (Chatelet Station - Destination Cassiopeia, Brooklyn line - Terminus Cosmos, The Ghost of Inverloch, The Wrath of Hypsis)||April 2018||978-1-84918-391-8|
|5||Valerian: The Complete Collection Volume 5||13–15: (On the Frontiers, The Living Weapons, The Circles of Power)||June 2018||978-1-84918-400-7|
|6||Valerian: The Complete Collection Volume 6||16–18: (Hostages of Ultralum, Orphan of the Stars, In Uncertain Times)||August 2018||978-1-84918-411-3|
|7||Valerian: The Complete Collection Volume 7||19–21: (At the Edge of the Great Void, The Order of the Stones, The Time Opener)||October 2018||978-1-84918-416-8|
a vindication of his work to make an important part of French culture available in the English-speaking world through Cinebook, as the ambassador himself noted when noting the publisher had now printed twice as many Lucky Luke books in the last three years as had been published in the previous fifty.
A 2013 article from DowntheTubes.net discusses how Cinebook have been criticized for the fact that many of their releases are censored from the original works, a practice which usually affects comics which depict nudity, including books which in their original form were released for adult target audiences with an appropriate age rating.
- "9th Art Book Wholesale Distributors". Retrieved 2018-01-13.
- De Blieck Jr., Augie (February 17, 2009). "Green Manor: Victorian England Murder Mysteries". Pipeline. Comic Book Resources.
- https://www.comicsreview.co.uk/nowreadthis/2017/08/08/valerian-the-complete-collection-volume-2/ Comics Review - Review - Retrieved 2018-09-29
- https://www.retrozap.com/valerian-the-complete-collection-volume-1-review/ Retro Zap - Review - Retrieved 2018-09-29
- Birch, Paul (November 1, 2011). "Cinebook Publisher Receives French National Order of Merit". Speech Balloons. Birmingham Mail. Archived from the original on December 23, 2011. Retrieved November 25, 2011.
- Briggs, Jeremy (November 17, 2013). "A French Artist's View of Cinebook Censorship". DownTheTubes.net. Retrieved February 22, 2017.