|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Police||Devon and Cornwall|
|Fire||Devon and Somerset|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
Chulmleigh (// CHUM-lee) is a small Saxon hilltop market town[a] and civil parish located in North Devon in the heart of the English county of Devon. It is located 20 miles (32 km) north west of Exeter, just north of the Mid Devon boundary, linked by the A377 and B3096 roads. The parish is surrounded, clockwise from the north by the parishes of King's Nympton, Romansleigh, Meshaw, East Worlington, Chawleigh, Wembworthy (a short border only), Ashreigney, Burrington, and Chittlehamholt. In 2001 the population of the parish was 1,308, decreasing to 1,017 at the 2011 census. An electoral ward with the same name also exists whose total population at the same census was 2,081.
Chulmleigh has some very old architecture with many cob and thatched buildings. It is located close to the Tarka Railway Line. King's Nympton Railway Station is within the parish, although it is around 2 miles (3.2 km) from the town, and Eggesford station is closer to the town.
Chulmleigh has a retained fire station which is part of Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service. The secondary school is Chulmleigh Community College, it has been amongst the highest in Devon's GCSE league tables. The town's pub is the Old Court House. on South Molton Street. The parish church is St Mary Magdalene.
Local businesses and organisations include a health center, a dentist, a butcher, Chulmleigh Cricket Club, Chulmleigh Hardware, Winston Pincombe and Chulmleigh Golf Course.
- Since at least 1292, Chulmleigh has held the right to hold a regular market, making it a market town. However, the parish council has not elected to give itself the status of a town as it could do under s.245(6) of the Local Government Act 1972, so it does not have a town council and cannot have a town mayor.
- "Devon – Chulmleigh". Gazetteer of Markets and Fairs to 1516. history.ac.uk. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "Local Government Act 1972". legislation.gov.uk. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "Map of Devon Parishes" (PDF). Devon County Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 November 2013. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- "Parish Headcounts: North Devon". Office for National Statistics : Census 2001. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "SS6814: Chulmleigh Fire Station". geograph.org.uk. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- "Chulmleigh Community College". chulmeigh.devon.sch.uk.
- "Old Court House". oldcourthouseinn.co.uk.
- "St Mary Magdalene". geograph.org.uk.
Media related to Chulmleigh at Wikimedia Commons