This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Okechukwu Christopher Ofala Okechukwu Okagbue
23 June 1987
|Occupation||actor, model, movie producer, reality TV star|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
Chris Okagbue (born Okechukwu Christopher Ofala Okechukwu Okagbue, 23 June 1987) is a Nigerian model, actor, movie producer and reality television star. He was the winner of the Gulder Ultimate Search season 8 reality show. He is of the Igbo tribe and is the son of the former Obi of Onitsha.
Background and education
Okagbue is from Onitsha in Anambra state. He is a twin. He was born into the royal family of the former Obi of Onitsha, the late H.R.H. Obi Ofala Okechukwu Okagbue and Ogechukwu Clara Okagbue, on 23 June 1987. His parents have six children, namely his elder sister Sandra Okagbue who is a former model and beauty queen, his twin brother Christian, and three younger sisters, Jane, Christabel and Bella. He has a degree in sociology from the University of Lagos.
His first venture into show business was as a model in 2004, when he appeared in commercials for brands like Cadbury Plc, MTN, Nigerian Breweries, Coca-Cola and Airtel at age 17. He moved into acting in 2007 when he was given a part after accompanying friends to an audition and decided to give it a try. He then appeared as Preye Pepple in the TV series The Station. The series was directed by Achor Yusuf who also gave him his second acting role as Lucky Edeghor in the TV series The Maze. Okagbue took a break from acting for a while until he found a job he had taken a liking to, TV presenting. He had a short spell with Koga Studios and at the time had covered the live red carpet of notable events such as the launch of Wizkid's first album, Superstar, Yemi Sax's Sax Appeal concert and DJ Jimmy Jatt's Jimmy's Jumpoff concert. He returned to acting shortly after as Victor in the TV series Secrets and Scandals. His break came when he was given the role of Emil Haruna in the M-NET TV series Tinsel.
He made his first appearance in a cinema film with a small role in the movie A Wish, followed by the movie Playing Safe, both directed by Elvis Chuks. His biggest role is as the lead character in the critically acclaimed[by whom?] movie Lotanna. He played the role of Lotanna in the film which starred the Ghanaian actress Ama K. Abebrese, Jide Kosoko, Bimbo Manuel, Victor Olaotan and Liz Benson. He made his debut on stage acting in a comedy play titled Election Fever which depicted the Nigerian government and its electoral system. The play was directed by Bolanle Austen-Peters and was sponsored by The Ford Foundation, British Council and the Lagos Theatre Festival.
Okagbue has starred in movies with Joke Silva, Fella Makafui, Tonto Dike, Ini Edo, Ama K. Abebrese, Jide Kosoko, Martha Ankomah, Bimbo Manuel, Ngozi Ezeonu, Victor Olaotan and Liz Benson amongst others, and has worked extensively with directors like Obi Emelonye, Elvis Chuks, Toka Mcbaror, Victor Sanchez Aghahowa, Achor Yusuf, James Omokwe and Moses Inwang.
In 2012, Okagbue was made a brand ambassador for Passion Energy Drink, by Orange Drugs Limited. He appeared in both TV and print commercials for the brand. In 2018, Okagbue was announced as on official Festival Ambassador by the Nollywood Travel Film Festival for the 2018 edition of the festival
Gulder Ultimate Search 8 winner
Okagbue won season 8 of the reality show Gulder Ultimate Search in 2011. The show was held in the Kukuruku Hills in Egbetua quarters, Akoko-Edo of Edo State and was themed "The Contest of Champions". The task was to find the second lost helmet of General Maximilian Of the initial 30 contenders, ten champions were picked to appear on the show. Okagbue emerged as the winner. His prizes as winner included seven million Nigerian naira, an SUV and a ₦500,000 wardrobe allowance for one year.
As a result of being voted one of top three past winners of the show, he returned to the Gulder Ultimate Search season 9 themed "Gatekeepers' Fortune" where he was charged with the special role of Gatekeeper.
Okagbue has an unreserved love for the city of Paris and French people in general. He explained in an interview with The Punch newspaper about his experience during a family vacation to France that he believes Paris is called the "City of Love" because the French people are friendly and romantic. He is not married.
|2012||A Wish||Elvis Chuks||Bob|
|2014||The Deal||Solomon Macauley||Victor|
|Superstar Me||Sampson 'Osmosis' Afolabi-Johnson||Ben|
|2015||Mixed Feelings||Seun 'Sheffy' Shonoiki||Chuks|
|Fastlane||Abiodun Williams||Akin Joe|
|40 Days||Phil Efe Bernard||Efe|
|2016||#TDMP: The Dance Movie Project||Idahosa Osagie||Eddy/Shakespeare|
|Caged Hearts||Nwaogburu Nelson Jombo||Benson|
|Hidden Truth||Nwaogburu Nelson Jombo||Benjamin|
|Colourless||Sobe Charles Umeh||Ralph Okai|
|Lotanna||Toka Mcbaror||Lotanna||Associate Producer: Chris Okagbue|
|2017||Kada River||Toka Mcbaror||Jerome|
|The Reason It's You||Alaundra Ada Dikesee||Leo|
|Mummy Dearest 2: The Wedding||Willis Ikedum||As himself||Guest appearance|
|2018||Diana||Okey Zubelu Okoh||Izu|
|Dark Shades||Iyua Alaha||Andrew|
|Zoe||Forin-Clay Ejeh||Zoe's Dad|
|The Washerman||Charles Uwagbai||Duke|
|Love and Lust||Henry Okoro||Chris|
|The Moles||Uche Chukwu||Gerald|
|The Bling Lagosians||Bolanle Austen-Peters||Igbo Investor|
|For Old Time' Sake||Moses Inwang||Andrew|
|2007||The Station||Achor Yusuf||Preye Pepple|
|2008||The Maze||Lucky Edeghor|
|2011||Gulder Ultimate Search reality TV show, season 8||As himself/winner of season 8|
|2012||Secrets and Scandals||Elvis Chucks||Victor|
|Tinsel||Victor Sanchez Aghahowa||Emil Haruna||TV series still running|
|2013||AY's Crib||As himself||Guest appearance|
|2015||The Calabash||Obi Emelonye||Kelvin Peters|
|2016||Kala & Jamal||John Njamah||Jamal|
|The Condo||Yemi Morafa||Brian|
|2019||Backseat||Victor Sanchez Aghahowa||Tosan|
Awards and nominations
As a model
His awards and nominations list for modeling and fashion includes:
- The 9ja Top Models Awards 2008
- Nigerian Models Achievers Awards: Model Of The Year 2009
- Peak Awards Model Of The Year 2010
- Peak Awards Model Of The Year 2012
- Nigerian Models Achievers Awards: Fast-Rising Model Actor 2014
- Lagos Fashion Awards 2015: Special Recognition For Most Fashionable TV Personality Of The Year
- Nigerian Icon Fashion Awards: Personality Fashion Icon Of The Year 2015
- Green October Event Awards: Most Fashionable Male Celebrity 2017
As an actor
- Links Achievers Awards: Fast-Rising Actor 2015
- Golden Movie Awards: Golden Actor (Drama) 2017 - nominated
- City People Movie Awards: Most Promising Actor of the Year (English) 2017 - nominated
- Nigeria Achievers Awards: Next Rated Actor Of The Year 2017 - nominated
- Zulu African Film Academy Awards: Best Newcomer for the film Lotanna 2018
- MoreKlue All Youth Awards Africa For Style: Influencer Of The Year 2018
- African Entertainment Legend Awards: Special Recognition Awards For Achievements In Entertainment
- Nigerian Designers Awards: Social Media Brand Influencer 2018
- "Okagbue Chris". IMDb.
- "Christopher Okagbue Wins Gulder Ultimate Search Season 8!". Nigerian Entertainment Today. 13 December 2011.
- "I got into acting by accident – Chris Okagbue". Punch Newspapers.
- "Chris Okagbue". Ibaka TV.
- "Before Stardom With… Chris Okagbue".
- Isaballa Akinseye (23 April 2017). "Movie Review, Hits and Misses of Toka Mcbaror's Lotanna". Vanguard. Retrieved 5 April 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Watch 'Playing Safe' Starring Tonto Dikeh, Ini Edo & Martha Ankomah Free On IrokoTV".
- "Okagbue Chris Actor".
- "Sandra Okagbue biography".
- "How Christopher Okagbue emerged winner of Gulder Ultimate Search 8". Vanguard. 15 December 2011.
- "CHRISTOPHER OKAGBUE WINS GULDER ULTIMATE SEARCH 8". Daily Post. 12 December 2011.
- Bukola Bakare (20 August 2017). "French are romantic – Chris Okagbue". Punch. Retrieved 5 April 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Newton-Ray Ukwuoma (23 September 2017). "James Abinibi Unveils Mentally Sunday". Nigerian Tribune. Retrieved 5 April 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)