October 24, 1987
Van Nuys, California
|Other names||Holds It Down|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Reach||71.0 in (180 cm)|
|Style||Kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Fighting out of||Sacramento, California|
|Team||Team Alpha Male|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Chris James Holdsworth (born October 24, 1987) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He's the winner of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rousey vs. Team Tate.
- 1 Mixed martial arts career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Championships and accomplishments
- 4 Mixed martial arts record
- 5 Mixed martial arts exhibition record
- 6 Amateur mixed martial arts record
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Mixed martial arts career
His father was a martial artist and Vietnam War veteran, his mother is a breast cancer survivor and his grandfather was a Golden Gloves boxer.
When he was eight years old, his elder brother was shot and killed. At his brother’s funeral, his sensei posthumously awarded him his black belt in American kickboxing. Holdsworth, aged 8, told his mother he wanted to be a martial artist just like his brother so he excelled in several martial arts, especially BJJ. He was awarded his blue belt from the legendary Royce Gracie, his purple belt by Rener, Ryron and Rorion Gracie, and was awarded his brown and black belt by Marc Laimon. At age 21 he was one of the youngest BJJ black belts in the US.
Holdsworth signed with the Tuff-N-Uff promotion in August 2009, and made his debut as an amateur against Justin Linn. He won his debut by triangle choke submission. He made a quick turnaround and faced Cameron Ramirez on September 18, 2009, and won the fight by TKO (punches). After taking a small hiatus, Holdsworth returned on February 26, 2010, facing Gor Mnatsakanyan. He won by TKO, extending his undefeated record to 3-0.
In his last amateur fight before turning pro, Holdsworth faced Anthony Gutierrez at Tuff-N-Uff: Xtreme Couture vs. Team Quest on August 6, 2010. He won by armbar, and turned pro in October of that year.
Professional MMA career
Holdsworth made his professional MMA debut in October 2010. He's a member of 'Team Alpha Male' and had 4 fights before joining the Ultimate Fighter. He won all of them by submission.
The Ultimate Fighter
Holdsworth was the second pick of Team Tate. During the first tournament fight in the house, Holdsworth faced team Rousey's #1 pick Chris Beal. Miesha Tate selected this match up because of a possible advantage when they heard that Beal probably had an injured hand. The consensus was that Beal would have the better of the striking while Holdsworth would be dominant in the ground, but Beal was dominated in the striking, even being knocked down and then submitted via guillotine choke in the first round.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Holdsworth works as a coach for Team Alpha Male.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|6 matches||6 wins||0 losses|
|Win||6–0||Chico Camus||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 173||May 24, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5–0||Davey Grant||Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 18 Finale||November 30, 2013||2||2:10||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won The Ultimate Fighter 18; Submission of the Night|
|Win||4–0||Tyler Shinn||Submission (triangle choke)||RFA 4||November 2, 2012||2||1:32||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||3–0||Juan Rivas||Submission (armbar)||KOTC: Next Generation||June 30, 2011||1||1:29||Highland, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Gustavo Limon||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Gladiator Challenge: Legends Collide 2||February 20, 2011||1||0:45||San Jacinto, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Randy Villarreal||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Xtreme Knockout 8||October 9, 2010||1||2:05||Arlington, Texas, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Professional record breakdown|
|3 matches||3 wins||0 losses|
|Win||3–0||Michael Wootten||Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rousey vs. Team Tate||November 6, 2013 (airdate)||1||3:11||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||The Ultimate Fighter 18 Semifinals round|
|Win||2-0||Chris Beal||Submission (guillotine choke)||September 18, 2013 (airdate)||1||4:16||The Ultimate Fighter 18 Quarterfinals round|
|Win||1–0||Louis Fisette||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||September 4, 2013 (airdate)||1||4:09||The Ultimate Fighter 18 Elimination round|
Amateur mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|4 matches||4 wins||0 losses|
|Win||4–0||Anthony Gutierrez||Submission (armbar)||Tuff-N-Uff - Xtreme Couture vs. Team Quest||August 6, 2010||1||2:32||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||3–0||Gor Mnatsakanyan||TKO (punches)||Tuff-N-Uff - Future Stars of MMA||February 26, 2010||1||2:10||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||2–0||Cameron Ramirez||TKO (punches)||Tuff-N-Uff - Future Stars of MMA||September 18, 2009||1||1:31||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||1–0||Justin Linn||Submission (triangle choke)||Tuff-N-Uff - Back2Back||August 22, 2009||1||1:58||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 173 Barao vs. Dillashaw". UFC.com. Archived from the original on May 26, 2014. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- "Anthony "Shark Bait" Gutierrez". mixedmartialarts.com. Retrieved 2014-05-26.
- Staff (2013-08-15). "'Ultimate Fighter' Season 18 cast revealed, including LaRosa, Baszler, Modafferi". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- Brian Knapp (2013-11-30). "Nate Diaz Flurry Dispatches Gray Maynard in 'The Ultimate Fighter 18' Finale Headliner". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-12-10.
- Matt Erickson (2014-02-21). "Chris Holdsworth vs. Kyung Ho Kang set for UFC 173 in May". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- Matt Erickson (2014-04-05). "Chico Camus in for Kyung Ho Kang, meets Chris Holdsworth at UFC 173". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-05.
- "Post-Concussion Syndrome Has Kept Chris Holdsworth out for Nearly a Year with No Return in Sight. His post concussion syndrome was allegedly caused by former Bantamweight champion and ex team alpha male fighter TJ Dillashaw".
- "Chris Holdsworth breaks silence about T.J. Dillashaw incident, accuses him of using 'special supplements'". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2017-10-31.