Gamble in 2012
|Born:||March 11, 1983|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||200 lb (91 kg)|
|High school:||Fort Lauderdale (FL) Dillard|
|NFL Draft:||2004 / Round: 1 / Pick: 28|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Chris Lee Gamble (born March 11, 1983) is a former American football cornerback who played nine seasons for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Ohio State.
High school career and Personal Life
Gamble played cornerback, wide receiver, and all phases of special teams at Ohio State. He was an integral part of the 2002 National Championship team, which went 14-0. Gamble played all 3 ways at Ohio State, earning 1st Team All-Big Ten honors, and 3rd Team All-America honors for cornerback. Gamble had 4 interceptions for the 2002 season, one of which he returned for a touchdown. Gamble was known for his game-breaking ability in all facets of the game, including defense, offense, and kick returning.
In 38 games, he started 18 times on defense and 12 times on offense (started on both offense and defense in five contests in 2002). Recorded 65 tackles (51 solos) with three stops behind the line of scrimmage, seven interceptions and 21 pass deflections. Also caught 40 passes for 609 yards (15.2 avg.), rushed six times for 68 yards (11.3 avg.) with a touchdown, returned 60 punts for 467 yards (7.8 avg.) and had 18 kickoff returns for 384 yards (21.3 avg.).
Gamble majored in sports and leisure studies while at Ohio State.
|Height||Weight||40-yard dash||10-yard split||20-yard split||20-yard shuttle||Three-cone drill||Vertical jump||Broad jump||Bench press|
|6 ft 0 in
|4.52 s||4.25 s||6.89 s||39 1⁄2 in
|All values from Ohio State's Pro Day|
Head coach John Fox named Gamble the starting cornerback to begin the regular season, alongside Ricky Manning. In 2004, Chris became the first rookie defensive player in Carolina Panthers history to start all 16 games, and earned Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie honors after establishing a Panthers rookie record with six interceptions, placing him in third in the NFL in interceptions.
In 2005, Gamble led the Panthers once again with 7 interceptions, ranking him fourth in the NFL.
In 2007, he finished the year with 50 tackles with only 1 interception.
In 2008, he finished the year with 3 interceptions and he also tied for third in the NFL in passes defended with 19.
Through Gamble's career milestones, the Panthers rewarded him on November 28, 2008 to a six-year $53 million contract with $23 million guaranteed, making him one of the highest paid defensive backs in the league.
Panthers franchise records
As of 2017[update]'s NFL off-season, Chris Gamble held at least 3 Panthers franchise records, including:
- Interceptions: career (27)
- Int Ret Yds: season (157 in 2005), game (101 on 2005-11-06 @TAM)
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
- Libson, Shai; Perez, Eduardo; Takita, Christiane; Avisar, Eli (April 4, 2019). "Post Mastectomy Radiation for Stage II Breast Cancer Patients with T1/T2 Lesions". European Journal of Breast Health. 15 (2): 71–75. doi:10.5152/ejbh.2019.4481. ISSN 2587-0831. PMC 6456277. PMID 31001607.
- "*Chris Gamble, DS #3 CB, Ohio State". DraftScout.com. Retrieved August 26, 2018.
- "Pro-Football-Reference: 2004 Carolina Panthers". pro-football-reference.com. Retrieved August 27, 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 6, 2008. Retrieved October 27, 2008.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Copeland, Kareem (March 8, 2013). "Chris Gamble's long run with Carolina Panthers ends". NFL.com. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Chris Gamble retires after release by Carolina Panthers
- "Chris Gamble Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
| Ohio State Buckeyes
Football Season MVP
2002 (with Craig Krenzel)