Christopher Elwin Fuller
October 8, 1982
|Occupation||Director, writer, producer, editor, actor, entrepreneur, martial artist|
Christopher Elwin Fuller (born October 8, 1982) is an American film director, writer, producer, editor, actor and entrepreneur from St. Petersburg, Florida. His films have been compared to the early, avant-garde works of Gus Van Sant, Harmony Korine and Robert Bresson, though his peers consider him a rarity in that his films are entirely unique.
In 2006, he released Loren Cass, which he wrote, directed, produced and starred in under the name Lewis Brogan. The film is set against the backdrop of the St. Petersburg, Florida riots of 1996. The film was written at the age of 15 and filmed in 2004 at the age of 21. The movie was released theatrically and on DVD in 2009 by Kino International. The film played in competition at Dennis Hopper's CineVegas Film Festival, the Filmmakers of the Present section of the Locarno International Film Festival and the Museum of Modern Art.
This section does not cite any sources. (August 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Fuller holds a black belt in Tae Kwon Do under Master Yong Jun Lee and trained in St. Petersburg, Florida under Tang Soo Do Master Michael Kinney and Mixed Martial Artist Shane Dunn.
Fuller founded independent film company Jonesing Pictures in 2002, web development company Electric Fly in 2007 and gourmet food company The Meatman in 2008.
Awards and Recognition
Fuller was nominated for an IFP Gotham Award, a Locarno Golden Leopard for Filmmakers of the Present, the Emerging Filmmaker Award at the Starz Denver Film Festival and won the One+One Award for use of music in a feature film at Janine Bazin's Entrevues Belfort film festival in France.
Fuller was profiled as one of 100 new directors representing the future of film in Take 100: The Future of Film, 100 New Directors, a book published by Phaidon Press and curated by film festival programmers from around the world.
Fuller's films have screened at a number of major film festivals around the world including: Dennis Hopper's CineVegas, the Locarno International Film Festival, Denver Film Festival, Vienna International Film Festival, Entrevues Belfort film festival, Helsinki International Film Festival, Bradford Film Festival, Atlanta Underground Film Festival, Hudson Valley Film & Video Festival, Ljubljana International Film Festival, Gijon International Film Festival, Titanic International Filmpresence Festival, Festival Internacional de Cine Contemporaneo de la Ciudad ded Mexico, Sarajevo Film Festival, Cine Esquema Novo, Indie Mostra Cinema Mundial.
- Persall, Steve."St. Petersburg filmmaker Chris Fuller" Archived 2016-08-18 at the Wayback Machine, St. Petersburg Times, 22 August 2009.
- Lee, Nathan. "Down and Out (and Disaffected) in St. Petersburg", NY Times, 23 July 2009.
- "Quit City Director Aaron Katz", IndieWire, 28 August 2007.
- Lim, Dennis. "DIY filmmaker Chris Fuller's years of effort pay off", LA Times, 3 January 2010.
- Lowery, David. "Director Chris Fuller on Loren Cass", Filmmaker Magazine, 29 July 2009.
- Virella, Kelly. "It's a wrap for two young filmmakers", St. Petersburg Times, 29 May 2004.
- Brooks, Brian. "Loren Cass Goes to Kino for Late July Release", IndieWire, 7 July 2009.
- "Jackpot Premieres Competition", CineVegas Film Festival, 9 June 2007.
- Andrew, Geoff. "Locarno Film Festival", Time Out London, 2007.
- "Best Film Not Playing at a Theatre Near You", Museum of Modern Art, 19 November 2009.
- "Gotham Independent Film Awards" Archived 2016-08-02 at the Wayback Machine, Independent Filmmaker Project, 2007.
- "Emerging Filmmaker Award", Denver Film Festival, 10 November 2007.
- "One+One Award", Entrevues Belfort film festival, 4 December 2007.
- "Take 100: The Future of Film, 100 New Directors", Phaidon Press, 2008.