|Type||Professional entertainment media association|
|Purpose||Honors outstanding achievement in independent and foreign films|
|Headquarters||Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, United States|
The Chlotrudis Society for Independent Films is a nonprofit organization that honors outstanding achievement in independent and world cinema. The organization gives out the Chlotrudis Awards. Membership in the Society includes "the Boston film community, ... critics, film festival programmers, theater exhibitors, and representatives from consulates in Boston."
The organization was founded in 1994 by Michael Colford and was named after his boyfriend Trent's two cats, Chloe and Gertrude.
The Chlotrudis Awards are given out annually, beginning in 1995. According to Society by-laws, to be eligible for an award, "a film cannot have been released on more than 1,000 screens nationally during its first four weeks. Films that only play festivals or are released direct to DVD are not eligible."
The Chlotrudis Awards were presented publicly beginning in 2000. They are given out in a ceremony usually held at the Brattle Theatre in Harvard Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts. As with the Academy Awards, Chlotrudis Award presentations involve live music and dance, movie clips, award envelopes, and a trophy (in this case, of a cat on a stick).
Current award categories
- Best Movie
- Buried Treasure
- Best Director
- Best Actress
- Best Actor
- Best Supporting Actress
- Best Supporting Actor
- Best Original Screenplay
- Best Adapted Screenplay
- Best Music in a Film
- Best Editing
- Best Cinematography
- Best Production Design
- Best Ensemble Cast
- Best Documentary
- Credited as Ellen Page
- Matchan, Linda. "And the cat on a stick goes to: Chlotrudis is as independent as films it honors," Boston Globe (March 15, 2009).
- King, Loren. "Chlotrudis celebrates 20 years of awards," Boston Globe (March 15, 2014).
- "CHLOTRUDIS SOCIETY FOR INDEPENDENT FILM ANNOUNCES 2013 NOMINATIONS – 'FRANCES HA' SHARES THE WEALTH | Chlotrudis Society for Independent Film". www.chlotrudis.org. Archived from the original on 18 November 2018. Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- Colford, Michael (March 19, 2018). "'CALL ME BY YOUR NAME', CALLED OFTEN AT 24th CHLOTRUDIS AWARDS". Chlotrudis Society for Independent Film. Archived from the original on April 2, 2018. Retrieved April 1, 2018.
- "Chlotrudis Society for Independent Film – 16th Annual Awards". Chlotrudis. Archived from the original on 11 July 2015. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Navío, Javier (19 March 2019). "Lista completa de ganadores de los Chlotrudis Awards". Premios Oscar (in Spanish).
- "Chlotrudis Society for Independent Film – News". chlotrudis.org. Retrieved 9 July 2017.