Enugu State, Nigeria
Chiwetalu Agu (born 1956) is a veteran Nigerian actor, comedian and movie producer who won the 2012 Nollywood award for 'best actor in indigenous movie (non-English speaking language)'. His usage of specific language slang, phrases or clichés in each film has made him uniquely a household name in Nigeria and among Nollywood admirers abroad. While asserting that comic genres is a unique vehicle in projecting Nigerian culture globally as well as establishing the Nollywood brand, Agu is listed as one of the outstanding comedians who have contributed to the development of Nollywood comic genres by Prof. Femi Shaka of the University of Port Harcourt. Agu is married to Nkechi and has three sons and two daughters.
Agu's versatility dates back to the transition of Nigerian television soap operas to Nollywood movies. Before the inception of Nollywood, about 31 years ago, television soap opera was the order of the day and Agu featured in Nigerian Television Authority Channel 8 Enugu's Ikoro, produced by Joe Onyekwelu. He also featured in ETV Channel 50, now ESBS. in soaps like Baby Come Now and Ripples (in Lagos), produced by Chico Ejiro's brother, Zeb; in the latter he played the character of Chief Abunna.
|Last Ofalla 1-4|
|1986||Things Fall Apart|
|2008||Return of Justice By Fire|
|Traditional Marriage 1 & 2|
|Fire on the Mountain 1 & 2|
|Price of the Wicked|
|Dr. Thomas||with Sam Loco Efe|
|The Priest Must Die|
|The Price of Sacrifice|
|Sunrise 1 & 2|
|Old School 1-3|
|Honorable 1 & 2|
|Sounds of Love 1 & 2|
|Across the Niger|
|The Plain Truth 1 7 2|
|Sounds of Love 1 & 2|
|Church Man 1 & 2||Ukpabi|
|Holy Anger 1 & 2|
|Evil Twin||with Pete Edochie|
|Beauty and the Beast 1-3|
|Royal Messengers 1 & 2|
|Royal Destiny 1 & 2|
|2007||Burning kingdom 1 & 2|
|The Maidens||with Clarion Chukwurah|
|Battle of the Gods 1 & 2|
|2017||The Wedding Party 2||with Adesua Etomi|
|2019||Ordinary Fellows||Mr. Mgbu||a film by Lorenzo Menakaya|
|2016||Agbommma Cameo appearance||Tchidi Chekere|||
Agu has raised controversies with comments where he has said that he will ask for a good price and described the sexual harassment alleged in Nollywood as an issue with a general phenomenon. He added "Nollywood actresses are well endowed". See also interview in The Daily Independent.
- In the first Nollywood Movie Awards in 2012: Agu was nominated for 'the best actor in indigenous movie for his role' in Nkwocha.
- Zulu African Film Academy Awards (ZAFAA London) 2011: Agu's role in The Maidens earned him nomination for 'the best supporting actor'.
- In the 2008 4th annual African Movie Academy Awards for his role in Across the Niger Agu was nominated for 'the best actor in a supporting role.'.
- Agu was the winner in the first ever Nollywood Movie Awards 2012 for 'the best actor in an indigenous movie: non English speaking language' for his role in Nkwocha.
- "AMAA Nominees and Winners 2009". Retrieved 2013-08-01.
- "Nollywood Movie Awards 2012". Archived from the original on 18 November 2012. Retrieved 7 Jan 2013.
- Nigeria Films news "I'll act for good price-chiwetalu agu". Archived from the original on 9 November 2011. Retrieved 8 Jan 2013.
- Supple Magazine "nollywood: reconstructing the historical and socio-cultural contexts of the Nigerian video film industry". Retrieved 27 Dec 2012.
- Ghana Visions "nollywood movie actors-chiwetalu agu". Archived from the original on 25 July 2014. Retrieved 8 Jan 2013.
- Cooper-Chen, Anne (2005), p106 Global entertainment media: content, audiences, issues LEA's communication series. Routledge. ISBN 0-8058-5169-0.
- IMDb "chiwetalu agu movies". Retrieved 8 Jan 2013.
- "Wale Ojo, Somadina Adinma and Chiwetalu Agu star in "Ordinary Fellows," new Nollywood movie produced by Lorenzo Menakaya » YNaija". YNaija. 2019-08-07. Retrieved 2020-05-17.
- "Kcee Patience Ozorkwor, Chiwetalu Agu, star in singer's 'Agbomma' video". Pulse.com.gh. David Mawuli. Retrieved 9 February 2016.
- Nigerian Voice "I'll act for good price-chiwetalu agu". Retrieved 7 Jan 2013.
- Nigeria Films news "sexual harassment: nollywood actresses are well endowed-chiwetalu agu". Archived from the original on 31 October 2012. Retrieved 10 Nov 2012.
- Daily Independent "Acting has opened door for me". Archived from the original on 27 October 2012. Retrieved 29 Dec 2012.
- Daily Times "Nollywood movie Awards set hold". Archived from the original on 2013-03-16. Retrieved 23 Dec 2012.
- African Movie News "African Movie news". Retrieved 11 Dec 2012.