|Chief Justice of Indonesia
Ketua Mahkamah Agung
|Supreme Court of Indonesia|
|Appointer||Supreme Court justices|
|First holder||Kusumah Atmaja|
|Deputy||Deputy Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Indonesia|
The chief justice and his or her deputy is elected by the Supreme Court justices from among the members of the court. Sometimes the process is controversial and attracts public criticism. For example, in early 2012 rumours about vote buying were reported in the Jakarta press as speculation mounted about the arrangements underway for the selection of new chief justice to replace Harifin Tumpa, who retired as chief justice in March 2012. It was said to be "all-out competition" for the post of chief justice because of the influence that the position holds and it was rumoured that the competition might include payments.
List of Chief Justices
|Name||Term||Term length |
|Kusumah Atmaja†||19 August 1945||11 August 1952||2,549|
|Wiryono Projodikoro||citation needed][||1966|
|Suryadi||21 June 1966||August 1968|
|Subekti||August 1968||January 1974|
|Umar Seno Aji||1974||1981|
|Mujono||18 February 1981||24 April 1984||1,161|
|Sarwata bin Kertotenoyo||1 November 1996||1 August 2000||1,369|
|Bagir Manan||18 May 2001||31 October 2008||2,723|
|Harifin Tumpa||1 November 2008 (acting)
10 February 2009
|1 March 2012||1,216|
|Muhammad Hatta Ali||1 March 2012||30 April 2020||2,982|
|Muhammad Syarifuddin||30 April 2020||Incumbent||72|
- † Died in office
- Denny Indrayana, Indonesian Constitutional Reform 1999–2002: An Evaluation of Constitution-Making in Transition, pgs. 450-451. Jakarta: Kompas Book Publishing, 2008. ISBN 9789797093945
- Markus Junianto Sihaloho; Muninggar Sri Saraswati (16 January 2009). "Critics Slam Harifin's Rise to Chief Justice". The Jakarta Globe. Archived from the original on 4 February 2013. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- Parlina, Ina (7 February 2012). "Court election plagued with money politics". The Jakarta Post.
- "Opperrechter Soerjadi geïnstalleerd" [Chief Justice Soerjadi installed]. De Leidse Courant (in Dutch). ANP. 22 June 1966.
- "Ketua MA Hatta Ali mengucapkan sumpah di hadapan Presiden" [Chief Justice Hatta Ali takes the oath in front of the President]. Mahkamah Agung Republik Indonesia (in Indonesian). 1 March 2012.