|The American College of Life Underwriters|
|Type||Private distance learning university|
|President||George Nichols III|
|Affiliations||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
The American College of Financial Services (The American College) is a private college focused on professional training for financial practitioners and located in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. It offers several professional certifications, two types of master's degrees, and a PhD degree. Annually, The American College educates approximately 40,000 students, mainly through distance education.
The institution was founded as The American College of Life Underwriters in 1927 by Solomon S. Huebner of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. Huebner was a professional involved in the development of economic theory. His theory of human life value is used in the field of insurance. It was his vision for a college-level professional education program for insurance agents that led to the creation of The American College.
Today the college offers professional training to all types of financial practitioners. When the institution began, programs focused exclusively on providing education to life insurance professionals. The Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) designation was the first credential offered by The College. Today The College provides training for the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) exam, The Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC) designation, and the Master of Science in Financial Services (MSFS) master's degree.
Twenty full-time faculty members and financial experts work at the campus.
In May 2019, The American College moved its operational headquarters to King of Prussia, PA.
- Alfred W. Redmer, Jr., Maryland politician.
- The American College. 2012. "Academics".
- Stone, Mildred F. 1960. The Teacher Who Changed an Industry. Homewood, IL: Richard D. Irwin, Inc. p. 8.
- Baird, John. 1997. The Power of One. Bryn Mawr, PA: The American College Press. p. ix.
- The American College. 2012. "Industry Recognized Faculty".
- Richard Ilgenfritz, "Akiba to head to American College Site" The Main Line Times, (Volume 77, No. 28, July 12, 2007 - July 18, 2007) p. 1-2.
- The American College of Financial Services Plans Major Move. 2017