|Charleston High School|
125 West Main Street
|School type||Public, Comprehensive|
|School district||Charleston School District|
|NCES District ID||050420|
|Oversight||Arkansas Department of Education (ADE)|
|NCES School ID||050420000158|
|Teaching staff||26.32 (on FTE basis)|
|• Grade 7||80|
|• Grade 8||72|
|• Grade 9||73|
|• Grade 10||62|
|• Grade 11||84|
|• Grade 12||65|
|Classes||No less than 38 offered|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.57|
|Education system||ADE Smart Core curriculum|
|Classes offered||Regular, Advanced Placement|
|Campus type||Rural; distant|
|Color(s)|| Black |
|Athletics conference||3A Region 5 (2012-14)|
|Team name||Charleston Tigers|
|Affiliation||Arkansas Activities Association (AAA)|
Charleston High School is an accredited comprehensive public secondary school for students in grades 7 through 12, located in the city of Charleston, Arkansas, one of two county seats in Franklin County. The school is the sole high school managed by the Charleston School District.
Charleston High School is Title I school fully accredited by the ADE that is meeting standards and is an Achieving school under Adequate Yearly Progress requirements of NCLB. The assumed course of study for students follows the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE), which requires students complete at least 22 units to graduate. Students engage in regular courses and exams and may take Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams with the opportunity for college credit.
The Charleston High School mascot is the tiger with black and gold serving as the school colors.
The Charleston Tigers are members of the 3A Classification administered by the Arkansas Activities Association competing in the 3A Region 4 Conference for interscholastic sporting activities. The Tigers participation includes: football, volleyball, golf (boys/girls), basketball (boys/girls), baseball, softball, and track and field (boys/girls).
- The Tigers football team has won five state championships (2005 at Class 2A; 2008, 2011, 2013, and 2014 at Class 3A).
- The Lady Tigers basketball team won the 2009 & 2018 Class 3A state championship. The boys basketball team were state finalists and runners-up in the 2012 and 2013 Class 3A.
Clubs and traditions
Beyond athletics, Charleston students participate in a variety of clubs and organizations, including: Art Club, Beta Club, Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), FCCLA, Key Club, Math Club, and Science Club.
The following are notable people associated with Charleston High School. If the person was a Charleston High School student, the number in parentheses indicates the year of graduation; if the person was a faculty or staff member, that person's title and years of association are included:
- Dale Bumpers (1943)—38th Arkansas Governor (1971–75); U.S. Senator (1975–99).
- Steve Cox—Former professional football player; inductee, Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame; placekicker/punter for Super Bowl XXIII-winning Washington Redskins.
- "Search for Public Schools - Charleston High School (050420000158)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Charleston School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "Best High Schools 2012". U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 28 October 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "School Improvement Status". Charleston School District. Retrieved 28 October 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "July 14, 2011: Steve Cox". Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame. 13 July 2011. Retrieved 28 October 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)