The Earl of Harrington
|3rd Earl of Harrington|
Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl of Harrington
|Other titles||Viscount Petersham|
Knight Grand Cross, Royal Guelphic Order
17 March 1753
|Died||5 September 1829 (aged 76)|
Brighton, East Sussex, England
|Wars and battles||American Revolutionary War|
|Offices||Colonel of the 1st Regiment of Life Guards|
Constable and Governor of Windsor Castle
Member of Parliament for Thetford (1774)
Member of Parliament for Westminster (1776–1779)
Member of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council,
Member of the Privy Council of Ireland
(m. 1778; died 1824)
|Parents||William Stanhope, 2nd Earl of Harrington|
Lady Caroline FitzRoy
General Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl of Harrington (17 March 1753 – 5 September 1829), styled Viscount Petersham until 1779, was a British Army officer and politician who sat in the House of Commons between 1774 and 1779 when he succeeded to the peerage as Earl of Harrington.
Stanhope was the son of William Stanhope, 2nd Earl of Harrington, and Lady Caroline FitzRoy, daughter of Charles FitzRoy, 2nd Duke of Grafton, and Lady Henrietta Somerset, daughter of Charles Somerset, Marquess of Worcester, and Rebecca Child. He was educated at Eton.
Stanhope was commissioned into the Coldstream Guards in 1769. During the Saratoga campaign of the American Revolutionary War as Viscount Petersham, he commanded the 29th Regiment of Foot's Grenadier company and was an aide-de-camp to General John Burgoyne.
He was Colonel of the 85th Regiment of Foot (1778–1783), the 65th Regiment of Foot (1783–1788) and the 29th Regiment of Foot (1788–1792). He was finally Colonel of the 1st Life Guards from 1792 to his death. He was promoted full general in 1803 and made GCH in 1821. From 1805 to 1812 he was Commander-in-Chief, Ireland, and he was sent on diplomatic errands to Vienna and to Berlin.
Viscount Petersham can be seen in the famous painting "The Burial of General Fraser at Saratoga" standing above Simon Fraser.
- Charles Stanhope, 4th Earl of Harrington (8 April 1780 – 3 March 1851). He was married to Maria Foote, daughter of Samuel Foote.
- Maj-Gen. Hon. Lincoln Edwin Robert Stanhope (26 November 1781 – 29 February 1840).
- Anna Maria Stanhope, Duchess of Bedford (3 September 1783 – 3 July 1857). She was married to Francis Russell, 7th Duke of Bedford.
- Leicester FitzGerald Charles Stanhope, 5th Earl of Harrington (2 September 1784 – 7 September 1862). He married Elizabeth Green, daughter of William Green and Ann Rose Hall.
- Hon. William Sefton George Stanhope (29 December 1785 – February 1786)
- Rev. Hon. FitzRoy Henry Richard Stanhope (24 April 1787 —� 11 April 1864). Dean of St Buryan, Cornwall and rector of Catton and of Wressle in Yorkshire. He married Caroline Wyndham, illegitimate daughter of the Hon. Charles Wyndham. They were parents of Charles Wyndham Stanhope, 7th Earl of Harrington, his younger brother Percy Stanhope and of several other children.
- Maj. Hon. Sir Francis Charles Stanhope (29 September 1788 – 9 October 1862). He had three children by Hannah Wilson, daughter of James Wilson of Parsonstown Manor, County Meath.
- Rev. Hon. Henry William Stanhope (2 August 1790 – 21 June 1872). Rector of Gawsworth.
- Lady Caroline Anne Stanhope (20 November 1791 – 25 November 1853), married Edward Ayshford Sanford on 21 June 1841.
- Lady Charlotte Augusta Stanhope (15 February 1793 – 15 February 1859), married Augustus Frederick FitzGerald, 3rd Duke of Leinster on 16 June 1818. They were parents to Charles William FitzGerald, 4th Duke of Leinster and another three children.
- Hon. Augustus Henry Edward Stanhope (25 March 1794 – 8 December 1831). On 8 May 1813, he married Jane Baldwin in the Parish Church of St John, Hampstead, under the name "Edward Stanhope" and disguised as a groom or labourer. The marriage was annulled in 1822 by reason of undue publication of banns (26 Geo. 2 c. 33).
- Charles Stanhope at Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Harrington, Earls of". Encyclopædia Britannica. 13 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 18.
- "STANHOPE, Charles, Visct. Petersham (1753–1829)". History of Parliament Online. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "Jane Stanhope (née Fleming), Countess of Harrington (1755–1824), Lady of the bedchamber to Queen Charlotte and a society hostess". National Portrait Gallery, London.
- Dodsley's Annual Register, Volume 64, by Edmund Burke
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Harrington
- Worcestershire Regiment website bio, with picture
|Parliament of Great Britain|
Henry Seymour Conway
| Member of Parliament for Thetford
With: Henry Seymour Conway
Lord Thomas Pelham-Clinton
| Member of Parliament for Westminster
With: Lord Thomas Pelham-Clinton
Lord Thomas Pelham-Clinton
The Viscount Cathcart
| Commander-in-Chief, Ireland
The Earl of Hopetoun
The Lord Dover
| Colonel of the 1st Regiment of Life Guards
The Viscount Combermere
| Colonel of the 29th (Worcestershire) Regiment of Foot
William Cathcart, 1st Earl Cathcart
The Earl of Cardigan
| Constable and Governor of Windsor Castle
The Marquess Conyngham
|Peerage of Great Britain|
| Earl of Harrington