The Marquess of Linlithgow
Charles William Frederick Hope, 3rd Marquess of Linlithgow
|Born||7 April 1912|
|Died||7 April 1987 (aged 75)|
Westminster, London, England
(m. 1939; died 1963)
|Relatives||John Hope, 1st Baron Glendevon (twin brother)|
|Unit||51st (Highland) Division|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
Charles William Frederick Hope, 3rd Marquess of Linlithgow MC (7 April 1912 – 7 April 1987) was a British peer and businessman.
The son of Victor Hope, 2nd Marquess of Linlithgow. He was the elder twin brother of John Hope, 1st Baron Glendevon. His first wife, Vivien Kenyon-Slaney, daughter of Major Robert Orlando Rodolph Kenyon-Slaney, died on 23 September 1963. He later married Judith Lawson, daughter of Stanley Matthew Lawson, in 1965.
Lord Hope fought in WWII and received the Military Cross for his service. He was a member of the 51st (Highland) Division. In 1940, he was taken prisoner at Dunkirk and held at Colditz Castle.
Marriages and children
Lord Linlithgow was married twice. His first marriage was to Vivien Kenyon-Slaney, daughter of Major Robert Orlando Rodolph Kenyon-Slaney and Lady Mary Cecilia Rhodesia Hamilton, on 24 July 1939. The couple had two children together.
- Lady Mary Sarah-Jane Hope (25 May 1940 – 8 November 2012); married Michael Gordon Learoyd, son of Philip Halkett Brook Learoyd, on 3 October 1967. The couple had one son and were divorced in 1978.
- Adrian John Charles Hope, 4th Marquess of Linlithgow (born 1 July 1946)
Lady Linlithgow died on 23 September 1963. Lord Linlithgow married, secondly, Judith Lawson, daughter of Stanley Matthew Lawson, on 15 February 1965.
He died on his 75th birthday on 7 April 1987, and was succeeded in the marquessate by his son, Adrian.
- "Charles William Frederick Hope, 3rd Marquess of Linlithgow". Peerage.com. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "Charles William Frederick Hope, 3rd Marquess of Linlithgow". Retrieved 28 May 2011.
- "Earls of Hopetoun (1703)". The Scottish Peerage. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
Marquesses of Linlithgow (1905)
- "Charles William Hope, 3rd Marquis of Linlithgow". The Gazetteer of Scotland. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Marquess of Lansdowne
- Video of the 1939 Wedding of Lord Hope and Vivien Kenyon-Slaney
- The Gazetteer of Scotland Biography and Photo
- Find A Grave Memorial for Charles Hope
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Victor Alexander John Hope
| Marquess of Linlithgow
Adrian John Charles Hope