Sir Charles Fleming
|Born||9 September 1916|
|Died||11 September 1987(aged 71)|
Sir Charles Alexander Fleming, KBE, FRS, FRSNZ, FRAOU (9 September 1916 – 11 September 1987) was a New Zealand geologist, ornithologist, avian palaeontologist and environmentalist. He spent the last twenty years of his life studying the evolution and systematics of New Zealand cicadas.
He was active in the Save Manapouri Campaign, was a spokesperson for Native Forest Action Council and the Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand. In 1974 he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union.
In 1988 the Royal Society of New Zealand established the Charles Fleming Award which is awarded to individuals who have achieved distinction in the protection, maintenance, management, improvement, or understanding of the environment.
In the 1964 New Year Honours, Fleming was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire. He was promoted to Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 1977 New Year Honours, for services to science and conservation.
- Matthews, Richard Ellis Ford (1988). "Charles Alexander Fleming. 9 September 1916-11 September 1987". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 34: 178–203. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1988.0007. JSTOR 770050.
- "RAOU Fellow: Citation – Charles Alexander Fleming, FRS, OBE". Emu. 74 (4): 259–259. 1974. doi:10.1071/MU974259a.
- Turbott, E. G. (1988). "Obituary. Charles Alexander Fleming, 1916-1987". Emu. 88 (4): 269. doi:10.1071/MU9880269.
- Mary McEwen (2005). Charles Fleming, Environmental Patriot: A Biography. Craig Potton Publishing. ISBN 1-877333-23-9.
- "No. 43202". The London Gazette (3rd supplement). 1 January 1964. p. 40.
- "No. 47104". The London Gazette (3rd supplement). 31 December 1976. p. 42.
- Royal Society of New Zealand - The Charles Fleming Award for environmental achievement.
- National Library of New Zealand (Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa) Biography of Fleming in an exhibition of 20th Century New Zealand Scientists.
- Fleming, Charles Alexander in the DNZB
- Charles Alexander Fleming at http://www.nzbirds.com