Passel was a major participant in the third Antarctic Expedition of Admiral Richard E. Byrd (1939–1941). Passel had several diverse duties on the expedition (as all the expedition members did) including as a dog team driver. His work with Siple was published in the American Philosophical Society 
He died December 27, 2002 in Abilene, Texas.
Passel's diary is published as the book Ice.
- University of Texas. "Passel, Charles F. Antarctic Exploration Collection". Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- "Obituary". Reporter-News. Abilene. December 28, 2002.
- Goerler, Raimund E. (February 13–14, 2000). "Interview of Charles F. Passel" (Interview). Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- Proceedings, American Philosophical Society (Vol. 89, 1945). ISBN 9781422372159.
- Passel, Charles F. (1995). Ice: The Antarctic Diary of Charles F. Passel. Lubbock: Texas Tech University Press. ISBN 978-0896723474.
|This article about an American scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|