This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Charles D. Owen High School|
99 Lake Eden Rd.
|Student to teacher ratio||14.20|
|Color(s)||Maroon and grey|
|Mascot||Warhorse and Warlassie|
|Accreditation||Southern Association of Schools and Colleges|
North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
Owen High School's mascot is the Warhorse and the Warlassie, and the school colors are maroon and grey. There are 68 teachers on the staff at OHS and the student to teacher ratio is 13:3. There are currently 14 teachers at Owen high school with the honor of having a National Board Certification.
The school was created in 1955 with the consolidation of Black Mountain High School and Swannanoa High School. It was named for prominent local textile tycoon and fashion designer Charles D. Owen. Black Mountain High School's mascot was the Dark Horses and Swannanoa high school's mascot was the Warriors, thus creating Owen High's mascot, the Warhorse. In 1991, a new school building was built on land donated by the Presbyterian Home for Children. The old Owen High School building now houses Owen Middle School.
Owen is well known for its football program which has accumulated a record (as of 9/26/08) and has captured 17 conference championships in its football history. The women's cross-country program won the state title in 1998 and the men's team brought home the state title in 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2008. The softball team also took home the state championship back-to-back in both 2000 and 2001. Warhorse baseball has made an appearance in the state championship four times, (1991, 1992, 1994, 2005) but has failed to win. Men's and women's basketball both have one state championship appearance apiece both in 1988. The 1988 women's basketball team had an undefeated conference season. Owen athletes have won individual titles in various years in swimming, track, and wrestling. In 2009, the JV cheerleading team won the state title. In 2010, the varsity cheerleading team received a 1st runner up state title in the large varsity non-tumble division and won state in 2012. The Warhorses have various west regional, conference, and county championships, be it individual or team, in each of their programs. Hall of Fame coach Roy Williams began his basketball coaching career at Owen High School from 1973–78.
- Patricia Cornwell — author of over 20 well known crime novels
- Brad Daugherty — former NBA center for the Cleveland Cavaliers and 5x NBA All-Star selection
- Brad Johnson — former NFL quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers; Super Bowl XXXVII champion and 2x Pro Bowl selection
- Matt Lutz — film, television, and Broadway actor and singer
- Kevin Massey — Broadway actor and singer
- Sammy Stewart — former MLB pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles and 1983 World Series Champion
- David Weaver — professional basketball player
- "Owen High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved May 15, 2020.
- David Weaver, Charles D Owen, Power Forward - 247Sports. Retrieved May 15, 2020.