This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Charles August, Prince of Nassau-Weilburg
Prince Charles August
|Born||17 September 1685|
|Died||9 November 1753 (aged 68)|
|Spouse(s)||Auguste Friederike of Nassau-Idstein|
|Father||John Ernst, Count of Nassau-Weilburg|
|Mother||Maria Polyxena of Leiningen-Dagsburg-Hartenburg|
Charles August was the second son of John Ernst of Nassau-Weilburg and Maria Polyxena of Leiningen-Dagsburg-Hartenburg. In his youth, he worked as a diplomat for Saxony; for a while he was the Saxon ambassador in Paris. He succeeded his father as Prince in Weilburg on 27 February 1719.
In 1733 and 1734, he commanded the imperial troops on the Rhine as an imperial cavalry general.
In 1737 he assumed the title of Prince, which family had been awarded in 1688. In 1688 the family had not, however, obtained a seat on the princely bench in the Imperial Diet, and in protest, they had not used their title. In 1737, the seat in the diet was finally awarded and Charles August started using his princely title.
Charles August died in 1753 and was buried in the chapel of Weilburg. He was succeeded by his son Charles Christian after.
- Henrietta Maria Dorothea (1724)
- Henrietta Augusta Frederica (1726–1757)
- Christiana Louise (1727)
- Polyxena Louise Wilhelmina (1728–1732)
- Christiana Louise Charlotte (1730–1732)
- Louise Polyxena (born: 27 January 1733; died: 27 September 1764)
- married Prince Simon August of Lippe-Detmold
- Charles Christian (1735–1788)
- married firstly in 1760 Princess Carolina of Orange-Nassau daughter of William IV, Prince of Orange (1743-1787)
- married secondly in 1788 Barbara Giessen of Kirchheim
This section does not cite any sources. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ancestors of Charles August, Prince of Nassau-Weilburg|
- Ernst Joachim (1882), "Karl August", Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB) (in German), 15, Leipzig: Duncker & Humblot, pp. 312–313
- Nassau, in: Heinrich August Pierer, Julius Löbe (eds.): Universal-Lexikon der Gegenwart und Vergangenheit, 4th edition, vol. 9, Altenburg 1860, pp 692–700, online at zeno.org
Charles August, Prince of Nassau-WeilburgBorn: 17 September 1685 Died: 9 November 1753
| Prince of Nassau-Weilburg
|This article about a member of the German nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a member of a European royal house is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|