|Act of Parliament|
|Long title||An Act to provide for the construction and operation of a railway tunnel system under the English Channel, together with associated works; to provide for connected improvements in the road network near Ashford, in Kent, and in the rail network in South Eastern England; to incorporate part of the railway tunnel system into the United Kingdom and to provide for the application and enforcement of law in relation to, and otherwise for the regulation of, that system and matters connected with it; to provide for the construction of certain highways and associated works in the vicinity of Folkestone; and for connected purposes.|
|Citation||1987 c. 53|
|Introduced by||Sir Geoffrey Howe, Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs|
|Territorial extent||United Kingdom|
(England and Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland)
|Royal assent||23 July 1987|
|Relates to||Channel Tunnel Rail Link Act 1996|
|Text of statute as originally enacted|
|Revised text of statute as amended|
The Channel Tunnel Act 1987 (c. 53) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom which authorised the construction of the Channel Tunnel between the United Kingdom and France in accordance with the Treaty of Canterbury, which was signed in 1986. Section 2 of the Act forbade any public subsidy of the project.
This Act enables to be written Statutory Instruments:
- the Channel Tunnel (International Arrangements) Order 1993, whereby the European Union agreement on border control known as the Sangatte Protocol was brought into jurisdiction by the Lord Chancellor, the Secretary of State for the Home Department, the Secretary of State for Health, the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and the Commissioners of Customs and Excise. The Sangatte Protocol is a 12-page document written in the national language of each state, which deals with responsibility for, inter alia, asylum applications. The French legislated it by Décret n°93-1136.
- the Channel Tunnel (Miscellaneous Provisions) Order 1994.
For sea-related matters, see the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002, and the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002 (Juxtaposed Controls) Order 2003.
- gov.uk: "Treaty Series No. 70 (1993)" London, HMSO Cm2366
- Frontex: The EU External Borders Agency, 9th Report of Session 2007-08, Report with Evidence (TSO, 2008) p.161
- legifrance.gouv.fr: "Décret n°93-1136 du 24 septembre 1993 portant publication du protocole entre le Gouvernement de la République française et le Gouvernement du Royaume-Uni de Grande-Bretagne et d'Irlande du Nord relatif aux contrôles frontaliers et à la police, à la coopération judiciaire en matière pénale, à la sécurité civile et à l'assistance mutuelle, concernant la liaison fixe transmanche, signé à Sangatte le 25 novembre 1991"
|This legislation in the United Kingdom, or its constituent jurisdictions article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|