|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||ISO 3166-2:IN|
Chanchal subdivision covers the Tal, one of the three physiographic sub-regions of the district. The Tal region gradually slopes down towards the south-west and merges with the Diara sub-region… (it) is strewn with innumerable marshes, bils and oxbow lakes.”
Malda district is divided into two administrative subdivisions: 
|Malda Sadar||English Bazar||2,515.43||2,650,466||20.23||79.77|
|Malda district||English Bazar||3,733.00||3,988,845||13.58||86.42|
Chanchal subdivision has 4 police stations, 6 community development blocks, 6 panchayat samitis, 49 gram panchayats, 524 mouzas, 508 inhabited villages and 1 census town. The census town is: Chanchal. The subdivision has its headquarters at Chanchal.
|Police station||Area covered
|Border (km)||Municipal town/ city||CD Block|
|Harishchandrapur||n/a||-||-||Harishchandrapur I, Harishchandrapur II|
|Chanchal||n/a||-||-||Chanchal I, Chanchal II|
|SC %||ST %||Hindus %||Muslims %||Literacy
|Harishchandrapur II||Khanta (Barduari)||217.22||251,345||12.85||2.88||27.24||72.61||54.34||-|
- Chanchal I block consists of eight gram panchayats, viz. Alihanda, Chanchal, Kharba, Makdampur, Bhagabanpur, Kaligram, Mahanandapur and Motiharpur.
- Chanchal II block consists of seven gram panchayats, viz. Bhakri, Dhangara–Bishanpur, Gourhanda, Kshempur, Chandrapara, Jalalpur and Malatipur.
- Ratua I block consists of ten gram panchayats, viz. Baharal, Chandmoni–II, Mahanandatola, Bhado, Bilaimari, Debipur, Ratua, Chandmoni–I, Kahala and Samsi.
- Ratua II block consists of eight gram panchayats, viz. Araidanga, Paranpur, Pukhuria, Sreepur–I, Maharajpur, Peerganj, Sambalpur and Sreepur–II.
- Harishchandrapur I block consists of seven gram panchayats, viz. Bhingole, Harishchandrapur, Kusidha, Rashidabad, Barui, Mahendrapur and Tulsihatta.
- Harishchandrapur II block consists of nine gram panchayats, viz. Daulatpur, Malior–I, Sadlichak, Doulatnagar, Malior–II, Sultannagar, Islampur, Mashaldaha and Valuka.
Malda district had a literacy rate of 61.73% (for population of 7 years and above) as per the census of India 2011. Malda Sadar subdivision had a literacy rate of 63.76% and Chanchal subdivision 57.68%.
Given in the table below (data in numbers) is a comprehensive picture of the education scenario in Malda district for the year 2013-14:
Note: Primary schools include junior basic schools; middle schools, high schools and higher secondary schools include madrasahs; technical schools include junior technical schools, junior government polytechnics, industrial technical institutes, industrial training centres, nursing training institutes etc.; technical and professional colleges include engineering colleges, medical colleges, para-medical institutes, management colleges, teachers training and nursing training colleges, law colleges, art colleges, music colleges etc. Special and non-formal education centres include sishu siksha kendras, madhyamik siksha kendras, centres of Rabindra mukta vidyalaya, recognised Sanskrit tols, institutions for the blind and other handicapped persons, Anganwadi centres, reformatory schools etc.
The table below (all data in numbers) presents an overview of the medical facilities available and patients treated in the hospitals, health centres and sub-centres in 2014 in Malda district.
|Subdivision||Health & Family Welfare Deptt, WB||Other
.* Excluding nursing homes
Medical facilities available in Chanchal subdivision are as follows:
Hospitals: (Name, location, beds)
Chanchal Subdivisional Hospital, Chanchal, 100 beds
Rural Hospitals: (Name, block, location, beds)
Harishchandrapur Rural Hospital, Harishchandrapur I CD Block, Harishchandrapur, 65 beds
Ratua Rural Hospital, Ratua I CD Block, Ratua, 30 beds
Araidanga Rural Hospital, Ratua II CD Block, Araidanga, 30 beds
Masaldabazar Rural Hospital, Harishchandrapur II CD Block, PO Kariali, 30 beds
Malatipur Rural Hospital, Chanchal II, Malatipur, 30 beds
Primary Health Centres: (CD Block-wise)(CD Block, PHC location, beds)
Ratua I CD Block: Debipur (10), Mahanandatola (10), Samsi (10)
Ratua II CD Block: Khailsona (Sultanganj PHC) (6), Kumarganj (10)
Harishchandrapur I CD Block: Vingal (Bhingola PHC) (4), Boroi (6), Khushida (10)
Harishchandrapur II CD Block: Bhaluka Bazar (Bhaluka PHC) (10), Hadamnagar (6)
Chanchal I CD Block: Kharba (10), Singia (Nadishik PHC) (10)
Chanchal II CD Block: Chandrapara (4), Chorolmoni (Khempur PHC) (10)
|Lok Sabha constituency||Reservation||Vidhan Sabha constituency||Reservation||CD Block and/or Gram panchayats and/or municipal areas|
|Maldaha Uttar||None||Chanchal||None||Chanchal I CD Block and Barui, Kusidha, Rashidabad and Tulsihatta gram panchayats of Harishchandrapur I CD Block|
|Harishchandrapur||None||Harishchandrapur II CD Block and Bhingole, Harishchandrapur and Mahendrapur gram panchayats of Harishchandrapur I CD Block|
|Malatipur||None||Harishchandrapur II CD Block and Bhingole, Harishchandrapur and Mahendrapur gram panchayats of Harishchandrapur I CD Block|
|Ratua||None||Ratua I CD Block and Araidanga, Paranpur, Pukuria and Sambalpur gram panchayats of Ratua II CD Block|
|3 assembly segments in Malda Sadar subdivision|
- "District Census Handbook Maldah, Series 20, Part XII A" (PDF). Census of India 2011, Pages 13-15: Physiography. Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Malda". Table 2.1 , 2.2, 2.4b. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "Malda District Police". Telephone Numbers. District Police. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "District Census Handbook: Maldah, Series 20 Part XII A" (PDF). Map of Maldah with CD Block HQs and Police Stations (on the fourth page). Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal, 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "BDO Offices under Malda District". Department of Mass Education Extension & Library Services, Government of West Bengal. West Bengal Public Library Network. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Directory of District, Subdivision, Panchayat Samiti/ Block and Gram Panchayats in West Bengal". Malda - Revised in March 2008. Panchayats and Rural Development Department, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "List of Districts/C.D.Blocks/ Police Stations with Code No., Number of G.Ps and Number of Mouzas". Census of India, Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal. Archived from the original on 13 February 2010. Retrieved 21 December 2008.
- "District Statistical Handbook, Malda 2014". Basic data: Table 4.4, 4.5, Clarifications: other related tables. Department of Planning, Statistics and Programme Monitoring, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Malda". Table 3.1, 3.3. Department of Planning, Statistics and Programme Monitoring, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 13 November 2018.
- "Health & Family Welfare Department". Health Statistics. Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18, 15 February 2006" (PDF). West Bengal. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 14 November 2018.