|Chafford Gorges Nature Park|
|Location||Chafford Hundred, England|
|Area||200 acres (81 ha)|
The Chafford Gorges Nature Park is a 200-acre (81 ha) nature reserve located in Chafford Hundred, England and managed by the Essex Wildlife Trust. It includes two Sites of Special Scientific Interest. Grays Thurrock Chalk Pit has been designated for its biological interest, and Lion Pit for geological interest.
The visitor's centre for the nature park is on Drake Road. It has a gift shop which sells refreshments and there are toilets and an observation deck.
In the Lion Gorge are the remnants of an old tramway cutting created in the nineteenth century to transport chalk from Lion Pit to the riverside wharves. The tramway ran roughly south from the chalk diggings to the Lion Works - a Portland cement factory opened in 1874. (Until about 1980, Thurrock was a major centre for cement production.) Part of the course of the tramway can be seen under the bridge where the railway line crosses a path from The Chase to Hedley Avenue and is also visible on London Road between The Chase and Foxton Road.
Animal life includes the brown long-eared bat, the pipistrelle bat and the great crested newt. Among the birds are kingfishers, woodpeckers, sand martins, reed and Cetti's warblers and house martins. In winter, the gorges are visited by birds such as siskin, redpoll and pochard. There are a number of lakes and fish species present include tench, rudd, pike and bream. Plant life includes the common spotted orchid, bee orchid and bird's-nest orchid. Trees include beech, oak, ash and sycamore.
The nature park has been described as the finest area for geology in south Essex. Fossils show that the area was once a tropical sea. There is a "geological trail" and a guide is available which describes the development of the chalk deposits over the course of 85 million years.
- Chafford Gorges Web page
- "Map of Chafford Gorges Nature Park" (PDF). Healthy Life Essex. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 January 2017. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Thurrock Council". Archived from the original on 2013-10-16. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- GeoEssex - SSSIs
- "Chafford Hundred Station Travel Plan" (PDF). thurrock.gov.uk. Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 October 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- SSI listing Archived 2016-03-03 at the Wayback Machine
- Lucy, Gerald (2012). "Thurrock's Geological Heritage". Panorama, The Journal of the Thurrock Local History Society (50th ed.).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chafford Gorges Nature Park.|