|Ceredigion and Pembroke North|
|Former County constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Ceredigion and Preseli Pembrokeshire|
|Created from||Cardigan and Pembrokeshire|
The constituency had the same boundaries for its entire lifetime, and consisted of Ceredigion and an area of northern Pembrokeshire around the towns of Newport and Fishguard. It was created in 1983, and abolished again in 1997.
The Liberals' Geraint Howells was the seat's first MP, having also held the predecessor Cardigan seat for 9 years. He was elected in both 1983 and 1987 with comparatively low voteshare compared to most other constituencies. In 1992, however, Plaid Cymru jumped from fourth to first place in one of the election's biggest upsets. Cynog Dafis was its MP thereafter, and then transferred to Ceredigion after the seat's abolition.
Members of Parliament
|1992||Cynog Dafis||Plaid Cymru|
Elections in the 1990s
|Plaid Cymru||Cynog Dafis||16,020||30.3||+15.0|
|Liberal Democrats||Geraint Howells||12,827||25.1||-11.6|
|Plaid Cymru gain from Liberal Democrats||Swing|
Elections in the 1980s
|Plaid Cymru||Cynog Dafis||7,848||16.2||+3.3|
|Plaid Cymru||Cynog Dafis||6,072||12.9||-1.6|
|Liberal win (new seat)|
- "Ceredigion could return to south constituency boundary". Cambrian News. 19 September 2016. Archived from the original on 20 September 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Ceredigion a Gogledd Sir Benfro (Ceredigion and North Pembrokeshire)". 2018 Review of Parliamentary Constituencies — Initial Proposals Report (Report). Boundary Commission for Wales. September 2016. p. 80.
- "Former MP urges re-think on move". Shropshire Star. 17 September 2016. p. 16.Report based on criticism of proposals by former Montgomeryshire MP Delwyn Williams.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.